Is stress getting the best of you? Have you heard the saying that stress makes you stupid, sick, and slow? How many of your health problems are related to stress? My schedule is jam-packed every single day, and the only way I can approach my work and my life with clarity is by taking time to press pause every single day. I do this with meditation, and meditation has literally made me more productive, calm, and clear-headed.
Our second interview in The Broken Brain Podcast is all about meditation and features one of my favorite teachers—Emily Fletcher of Ziva Meditation!
This week the executive producer of Broken Brain, Dhru, talks to Emily about how meditation can be life-changing. A regular practice can literally change the chemistry and biology of your brain as well as positively affect your relationships and your work. We’ll learn how meditation can actually give you time back, how it relaxes your central nervous system, can reduce effects of jet lag, is very helpful to new parents, and much more.
I hope you’ll tune in to hear what Emily has to say and learn more about why we can’t afford to not meditate.
In this episode, we dive into:
- Why do we have a love/hate relationship with meditation? (2:16)
- All about Emily and her meditation journey (5:04)
- How does meditation help us manage stress? (9:52)
- The financial and emotional cost of stress (13:50)
- Why don’t people meditate? (15:46)
- The difference between mindfulness and meditation (18:40)
- Emily’s work with Dr. Hyman (24:22)
- Finding what matters in our lives using meditation (28:48)
- What does meditation look like for Emily? (36:25)
- Results and when to expect them (40:45)
- Teaching kids meditation (47:52)
- The science behind how meditation impacts brain health (50:12)
I hope you enjoy this conversation as much as I did.
Wishing you health and happiness,
Mark Hyman, MD