With a much lower Alzheimer’s rate in India, have you been curious about the ancient Indian traditions of Ayurvedic Medicine and how these practices impact brain health?
If you are interested in Functional Medicine, today’s Broken Brain Podcast might be fascinating to you, too. Ayurvedic Medicine, like Functional Medicine, focuses on treatment of the individual person taking a whole body approach to a balanced and healthy life.
In our fifth Broken Brain Podcast, our Broken Brain executive producer Dhru Purohit sits down with the author of The Paleovedic Diet, creator of Achieving Life-Long Brain Health with Ayurveda, and Functional Medicine practitioner, Dr. Akil Palanisamy (“Dr. Akil”) to talk about the ways in which Ayurvedic practices can promote a healthy brain and body.
Dr. Akil covers many helpful Ayurvedic topics, like what spices to include in your “Kitchen Pharmacy”, the connection between the gut and brain, if dairy is the right choice for you, social connection, and much more. Dr. Akil also shares his recipe for Saffron and Turmeric Spiced Milk.
I think you will walk away from this podcast with many takeaways that will enhance your life and improve your health.
In this episode, we dive into:
- Dr. Akil’s personal health crisis (2:05)
- Ayurveda and its effect on brain health (4:31)
- 13 spices in your “Kitchen Pharmacy” (6:01)
- Alzheimer’s in India (7:57)
- Ayurvedic practices to help strong digestion (11:12)
- Dairy – friend or foe? (16:11)
- Brain inflammation or “leaky brain” (18:20)
- Improve your health with social connection (24:00)
- The MIND diet (26:30)
- Tips to get started to improve your health (31:20)
- Ayurvedic mind and body practices (33:18)
- Resources to help you go deeper into Ayurvedic Medicine (37:24)
I hope you enjoy this conversation as much as I did.
Wishing you health and happiness,
Mark Hyman, MD