Like any bean salad, this one is best made ahead of time so the flavors can reach their full potential before serving.
- 2 Cups Red Onion
- 2 Cups Yellow Onion
- 1 Jalapeno Pepper
- 5 Cloves Garlic
- 1/4 Cup Carrots
- 1/3 Cup Celery
- 2 Green Onions or Scallions white parts only
- 1 Cans (16 ounces each) Organic Black Beans
- 4 Tablespoons Lemon Juice
- 1/4 Teaspoon Cumin
- 1/2 Teaspoon Fresh Oregano
- 1/4 Teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
- 3 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- Julienne the red and yellow onions. Mince the jalapeno and garlic. Peel and dice the carrots and celery. Thinly slice the green onions. Drain and rinse the black beans.
- On medium heat, in a sauté pan, heat a small amount of the olive oil. Add the red and yellow onions and sauté for 4–5 minutes. Turn down the heat and cook the onions for an additional 15 minutes or until they are brown and caramelized. Stir frequently so the onions cook evenly—don’t burn. Add the jalapenos and garlic and cook for 5 additional minutes so the garlic browns slightly. Cool mixture.
- In a large bowl, mix thoroughly the beans, green onion, carrots, celery, and sautéed onion mixture.
- Dressing: In a small bowl, add the lemon juice, cumin, oregano and cayenne pepper. Slowly whisk in olive oil.
- Pour dressing over black bean mixture. Gently mix until dressing thoroughly covers all beans.