You can roast the garlic ahead of time. Just remove the roasted cloves from the skins and store in olive oil in your refrigerator for up to one week. Then you will always have roasted garlic to give great flavor to your vegetables.
Asparagus with Roasted Garlic Olive Oil and Red Onions
- 1 Large Bulb Garlic
- 1 1/2 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 Medium Red Onion
- 1 Teaspoon Fresh Thyme
- 1 Teaspoon Fresh Basil
- 1 Teaspoon Fresh Parsley
- 1/4 Teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
- 1/2 Teaspoon Sea Salt
- 1 Large Bunch Asparagus trimmed
- Pre-heat oven to 325 degrees.
- Cut the top of the bulb of garlic and rub with small amount of olive oil. Wrap with tin foil and roast in oven for 30 minutes.
- Julienne the onion and sauté over medium heat with a small amount of olive oil until they start to caramelize, about 10–12 minutes.
- When the garlic bulb is roasted, squeeze the roasted cloves from the skin into a bowl. Mince the fresh herbs and add to the roasted garlic along with the cayenne pepper, sea salt, and remaining olive oil. Combine together with a spoon and crush the garlic into pieces.
- Bring a small pot of water to a boil. Cook the asparagus in the water for 3–4 minutes or until tender. Remove the asparagus and place on a platter or plate. Top with caramelized onions and then with the roasted garlic and fresh herbs.