- 2 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Small Onion diced
- 2 Tablespoons Garlic diced
- 2 Tablespoons Chili Powder
- 1 Tablespoon Ground Cumin
- 1 Tablespoon Paprika
- 1/2 Teaspoon Chili Flakes
- 1 Teaspoon Dried Oregano
- 2 Tablespoons Tomato Paste
- 1 Tablespoon Red Wine or Water
- 1/2 Cup Quinoa rinsed
- 1/2 Green Bell Pepper seeds removed, then diced
- 1 Small Zucchini diced
- 1 Can (15 ounce) Black Beans
- 1 Can (15 ounce) Pinto Beans
- 4 Cups Water or Vegetable Stock
- 1 Can (8 ounce) Tomato Sauce
- 1 Teaspoon Sea Salt
- 1 Squeeze Fresh Lime Juice
- Fresh Cilantro chopped for garnish (optional)
- In a large soup pot, heat the olive oil on medium heat.
- Add the onions and garlic and cook until they begin to sweat. Add spices and continue to sauté for two more minutes. Add the tomato paste and sauté another minute. Deglaze with water or wine, and then add the quinoa. Sauté until quinoa is browned.
- Add green pepper and zucchini and sauté a few minutes until they begin to soften. Add beans with their liquid, water or stock, tomato sauce, and salt.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes. Garnish with lime juice and cilantro. Serve with Baked Corn Tortilla Strips.
Nutritional analysis per serving
calories 467 • carbohydrates 79.8 g • fiber 19.2 g • protein 25.9 g • fat 6.2 g • cholesterol 0 mg • sodium 423 mg • calcium 176 mg