The tofu in this vegetable bowl absorbs the cheerful essence of southwestern flavor, with seasonings from cumin and chili spices, to delightfully please your palate. For vegetarians and meat lovers, this meal provides a great source of plant-based protein, from the tofu and black beans. Beans are the only food that provides an excellent source of both protein and fiber – no other fruit or vegetable can compare. This meal is easy to prepare, full of fun flavors, bright colors and packs an enormous amount of nutrition in every bite. Enjoy!
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Olive Oil divided
- 14 ounce package firm water-packed tofu rinsed and cubed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Chili Powder
- 1 teaspoon Ground Cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon Turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt divided
- 1 small Zucchini diced
- 1 organic red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1/2 pint Cherry Tomatoes - halved (organic if possible)
- 1 cup canned black beans rinsed
- 4 Scallions sliced
- 1/2 Jalapeno Pepper finely diced
- 6 ounce bag Spinach (organic if possible)
- 1/2 Fresh Ripe Avocado diced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the tofu, chili powder, cumin, turmeric and 1/4 teaspoon salt and cook, until the tofu begins to brown, about 15 to 20 minutes. Be sure to turn the tofu so that all sides evenly brown and crisp up. Transfer tofu to a bowl and set aside.
- Add the remaining oil to the pan. Add zucchini, peppers, tomatoes, beans, scallions, jalapeno and the remaining salt. Cook until the vegetables soften, about 10 minutes, stirring continuously. Return the tofu to the pan, stir to combine with vegetables and cook until warmed through, about 2 minutes more. Remove from the heat and stir in the spinach until just wilted, about 30 seconds.
- To serve, spoon one fourth of the tofu and veggies into soup bowls and top each serving with avocado and cilantro.
- Store all leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days
Nutritional analysis per serving (2 cups)
calories 276 • fat 16 g • saturated fat 3 g • cholesterol 0 mg • fiber 9 g • protein 15 g • carbohydrate 22 g • sodium 365 mg