This dish is delicious served hot or cold, and may be enjoyed as a healthy snack. With a fried egg, it makes a perfect breakfast.
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 1/2 pounds broccoli rabe trimmed of thick stems
- 2 tablespoons grapessed oil
- 4 garlic gloves thinly sliced
- 8 ounces hot Italian sausage casings removed
- lemon wedges for serving
- Bring a 3-quart sauce pan of water to a boil over high heat.
- Prepare an ice bath by placing 6 ice cubes in a bowl and filling it to the top with cold water; set aside.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon salt and the broccoli rabe to the boiling water. Cook until just tender, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Drain, and transfer to the ice bath.
- When the broccoli has cooled, drain again and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over high heat until shimmering.
- Add the garlic and cook, stirring constantly, until golden, about 20 seconds.
- Transfer the garlic to a plate and reserve.
- Add the sausage to the pan and sauté, breaking it up with the back of a spoon. Cook the sausage until it begins to brown and crisp, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the broccoli rabe, lemon zest, and reserved garlic to the pan. Toss until warmed, 2 to 3 minutes, and season with me remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- Transfer to a serving plate and sprinkle with the lemon juice.
- Serve immediately, with additional lemon wedges.