Are you looking to clean up your diet without clearing your plate of delicious restaurant-quality food? If so, try these easy crab cakes that burst with flavor, along with a crunchy, fresh side salad that adds vibrant color and detoxifying nutrients.
- 1 pound lump crab meat
- 1 egg beaten
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise (found in the 10-Day Detox Diet Cookbook)
- 1 tablespoon Fresh Lemon Juice
- 1 tablespoon Dijon Mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon Sea Salt divided
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground black pepper divided
- 1/4 teaspoon Cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon Celery seed
- 1 pinch Cayenne Pepper
- 2 Green Onions or Scallions finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/3 cup Almond Flour or Meal
- 1/2 pint Cherry Tomatoes - halved organic if possible
- 1 bell pepper seeded and diced
- 1/2 Cucumber sliced lengthwise, chopped
- 1 Fresh Ripe Avocado quartered, sliced
- 2 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 tablespoon Balsamic Vinegar
- 1/4 cup Fresh Parsley chopped
- ghee or Olive Oil for sauteing crabs
- Place the crab, egg, mayo, lemon juice, mustard, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, cumin, celery seed, cayenne, onion, garlic and flour in a large mixing bowl. Mix until combined and then set aside for 5 to 10 minutes to marry the flavors and allow mixture to thicken. Shape the crab mixture into 8 evenly sized patties (if mixture is too soft, add extra flour, 1tablespoon at a time, until you reach desired consistency).
- While the crab mixture sets, prepare the salad. In a large bowl, add the tomatoes, peppers, cucumber, avocado, oil, vinegar and remaining salt and pepper and stir to combine. Sprinkle parsley on top and place in the refrigerator to cool.
- Heat the ghee or oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. While oil is heating, line a plate with 2 paper towels. When the oil is hot, add the crab cakes to the skillet and cook in batches for about 3 to 5 minutes on each side or until browned, turning them over very gently once during cooking.
- Place the crab cakes on the prepared plate to absorb any excess oil. Once all the cakes are cooked, serve immediately with the chopped vegetable salad.
Nutritional analysis per serving (2 cakes, about 1 cup salad)
calories 500 • fat 36g • saturated fat 5g • cholesterol 145mg • fiber 6g • protein 32g • carbohydrate 14g • sodium 680mg