Crisp lettuce leaves spread with creamy guacamole, topped with spicy beef, cool cabbage, tomato, and cilantro, and finished with squeezes of tart lime juice make a great lunch that won’t weigh you down. You’ll love this recipe from my new book, Eat Fat, Get Thin. Click here to view PDF version.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped (1 cup)
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 pounds grass-fed ground beef (15 percent fat)
- 2 1/2 teaspoons ancho chili powder
- 1 tablespoon plus 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coriander
- optional: dash of chipotle powder
- 1/4 teaspoon plus a pinch of sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon plus a pinch of ground black pepper
- 1 large avocado, peeled, pitted, and chopped
- 4 limes, 2 juiced, 2 quartered for garnish
- 12 butter lettuce leaves or romaine lettuce leaves
- 1/4 small head green or red cabbage, grated or nely chopped
- 2 Roma tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1/4 cup freshly chopped cilantro leaves
- Heat a large (12-inch) stainless steel pan over medium heat and add the olive oil. When the oil is hot, add the chopped onion and cook until soft, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the garlic and cook another 30 seconds, stirring. Add the ground beef, breaking it up with a wooden spatula or spoon. Cook until the meat is no longer pink, about 2 minutes. Add the ancho chili powder, 1 tablespoon of the cumin, the coriander and the chipotle powder (if using). Cook 1 to 2 minutes longer, stirring, to allow the spices to bloom. Season with 1⁄4 teaspoon of the salt and 1⁄4 teaspoon of the pepper, then remove the meat from the heat and place in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- To make the guacamole, place the avocado in a small bowl. Squeeze in the lime juice, add the remaining 1⁄2 teaspoon of cumin, and mash with a fork until smooth. Add the remaining pinch of salt and pepper.
- Divide the lettuce leaves among 4 plates. Spread the guacamole onto the lettuce leaves. Top with a quarter of the spicy beef, then with the chopped cabbage, tomato, and cilantro. Serve with a wedge or two of lime.
Nutritional analysis per serving (1⁄4 spicy beef mixture, vegetables, 3 lettuce leaves):
calories 600 • fat 43 g • saturated fat 15 g • cholesterol 110 mg • fiber 9 g • protein 35 g • carbohydrate 25 g • sodium 290 mg