- FOR THE BURGERS:
- 1 1⁄4 pounds ground dark turkey meat
- 12 large oil-packed, sulfite-free sundried tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh basil or parsley leaves
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sea salt
- optional: 2 pinches red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- FOR THE AVOCADO CREAM:
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled and pitted
- 1⁄4 cup organic mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 pinches sea salt
In a medium bowl, combine the ground turkey, tomatoes, basil, mustard, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes (if using) and mix with your hands until incorporated. Then divide the burger mixture into 4 even portions and form into rounded patties about 3⁄4 inch thick (dampen your hands with a little water so the burger mixture doesn’t stick to them). To make perfectly round burgers, use a 4-inch ring mold.
Heat the oil in a nonstick frying pan over medium-low heat. When the pan is hot, add the patties and cook until a browned crust forms, 3 to 4 minutes. Turn the patties over and cover the pan. Turn the heat to low and cook the burgers another 7 to 8 minutes or until the internal temperature reads 165°F on a meat thermometer.
While the patties are cooking, make the avocado cream. Place the avocado, mayonnaise, lemon juice, and salt in the bowl of a food processor that is fitted with the steel blade attachment. Puree the ingredients until smooth and creamy.
Serve the burgers, each with a quarter of the avocado cream on top. Enjoy!
Nutritional analysis per serving (1 burger with avocado cream)
calories 460 • fat 38 g • saturated fat 8 g • cholesterol 135 mg • fiber 4 g • protein 26 g • carbohydrate 26 g • sodium 470 mg