This week we’re featuring a recipe from my friend, Chef Frank Giglio, of Three Lily Farm. This classic spring recipe pairs the sweetness of strawberries with fresh, crisp spinach. A bright sherry-bacon vinaigrette adds just the right pop of flavor that is balanced with the fatty addition of avocado. Click here to view a PDF version.
- 2 strips of crispy cooked turkey bacon, crumbled
- 2 big handfuls of spinach
- 8 strawberries, cut in half
- 1 ripe avocado, pitted, peeled and cubed
- 1 tablespoon turkey bacon fat, melted
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- Pinch of sea salt and fresh cracked black pepper
- Cook the turkey bacon in a heavy bottomed pan until crispy. Set aside and reserve the fat for preparing the dressing.
- Wash and then dry the spinach. Tear into bite-sized pieces and place in a large bowl.
- Prep the berries and avocado, and then add to the spinach.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the turkey bacon fat, olive oil and vinegar. Add the pepper and pour over the greens.
- Toss to distribute the dressing and divide onto two plates.
Nutritional analysis per serving
calories 332 • fat 30 g • saturated fat 5 g • cholesterol 5 mg • fiber 8 g • protein 5 g • carbohydrate 16 g • sodium 179 mg