Summer is here! Well, almost. During warmer days, I love to substitute omelets and scrambles with refreshing smoothies and other cold breakfast meals. One of my favorite bowls to treat myself to is a delicious Acai Bowl. This recipe from Curry Girl’s Kitchen includes plenty of healthy fats from coconut and almonds, as well as flax seeds, and it is rich in antioxidants. The whole family will love it. Click here to view the PDF version.
- 1 packet acai, frozen
- 1/2 cup frozen blueberries, raspberries, or blackberries
- 1/4 cup canned coconut cream + liquid
- 2 tablespoons almond butter
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground flax seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon alcohol-free vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup coconut water
- Handful ice (optional)
- Toppings: chopped pecans or nuts of choice, chia seeds or other seeds of choice, coconut flakes, and/or low-glycemic fruit of choice.
Add the acai, berries, coconut cream, almond butter, flax seeds, cinnamon, and vanilla to a blender and start to blend. Gradually add in coconut water and continue to blend.
Add ice to thicken, as needed.
Pour into a bowl and top with toppings of choice.
Nutritional analysis per serving (1 large bowl without toppings):
calories 477 • fat 37 g • saturated fat 10 g • cholesterol 0 mg • fiber 13 g • protein 10 g • carbohydrate 26 g • sodium 34 mg