My friend, Amie Valpone, is a chef and the best-selling author of the cookbook Eating Clean: The 21-Day Plan to Detox, Fight Inflammation and Reset Your Body. Your body will thank you for making one of her delicious recipes. One of my personal favorites is this rainbow carrot and Brussels sprout salad. This delicious salad is always a crowd pleaser. Enjoy! Click here to view PDF version.
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts, halved lengthwise, stems trimmed, outer leaves removed
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil or coconut oil
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 4 cups organic mixed salad greens
- 1 cup chopped purple cabbage
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved lengthwise
- 1 large cucumber, diced
- 4 large yellow carrots, peeled
- 1 tablespoon warmed, creamy unsweetened almond butter
- juice of 1 large lemon
- 2 tablespoons raw pecans
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- Preheat the oven to 425F.
- Place the Brussels sprouts in a large mixing bowl and toss with the oil, sea salt and pepper. Spread out evenly on a lined baking sheet and place in the oven to roast for 20 minutes or until tender.
- While the sprouts are roasting, make the rest of the salad by combining the greens, cabbage, grape tomatoes, cucumber and peeled carrot strips in a large serving bowl. Set aside.
- When the Brussels sprouts are ready, add them to the salad and drizzle with the warmed almond butter and lemon juice. Garnish with the pecans, parsley and sesame seeds. Season to taste with sea salt and pepper, if needed.
- Toss the salad to combine the ingredients and serve immediately.
Nutritional analysis per serving
Calories: 227 • Protein: 8 g • Carbohydrate: 23 g • Total Fat: 9 g • Sodium: 156 mg