Tomorrow is the last day of our Broken Brain docuseries. I hope it has inspired you to begin prioritizing your brain health, which really means prioritizing your health in general. Your brain is connected to every other system in your body, so to heal your brain you must first heal your body. In the spirit of this, I am sharing the last of our series of brain-boosting recipes.
My team and I at the UltraWellness Center, love our smoothies! Walking through the office first thing in the morning, you are sure to come across some smoothies of varying color and consistencies. This is because they can be a quick, easy, and delicious solution to squeezing in a balanced breakfast. I decided to reach out to some of our staff, who you will often see with a smoothie in hand, to help inspire you with some of their favorites. Experiment with the following recipes and you never know, you may discover a new favorite of your own:
Spiced Walnut Ginger Smoothie
A creamy combo of nuts, berries, spices, and greens that is sure to make your morning great!
- ¼ cup walnuts
- 2-3 Brazil nuts
- 1 cup mixed frozen berries (I love mixing it up between wild blueberries, raspberries, aronia, and golden berries)
- 1-inch piece of fresh or frozen ginger
- 1-2 handfuls of spinach or 1 scoop of green powder
- 1 scoop protein powder (I rotate between Ancient Nutrition’s Bone Broth Protein, PurePaleo, organic Pea Protein, and Vega One protein powders).
- Enough almond milk or water to cover the ingredients
- A dash of pumpkin pie spice
Blend and enjoy. This mixes up great in my Vitamix! The longer I keep it blending, the smoother and thinner the consistency becomes. Experiment and see what you like best.
Chocolate Morning Milkshake
Ronit Menashe, Marketing Director
A decadent chocolate smoothie, full of protein and healthy fats!
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 2 /3 avocado or 1 spoonful of almond butter
- 1 serving grass-fed chocolate whey protein (Reserveage Organics or Terra’s Whey)
- 1/2 cup coconut water (Harmless Harvest)
- 1 Tbsp organic cacao powder (Navitas Naturals)
- 1 scoop Vital Proteins Pasture-Raised, Grass-Fed Collagen Peptides
- 3-4 ice cubes
Blend and enjoy!
Make An Anything Smoothie
I never work off a recipe! Rather, I tend to check my fridge and see what I can use. I have found that lemon or lime rind will brighten and lighten just about any green laden smoothie. I also like picking herbs from my garden—basil, mint, lemon balm. I almost always add ginger root which is especially good with lemon, carrot, and spinach.