Hi! Dr. Hyman here…welcome to our very first installment of The Broken Brain Podcast! I am so excited to continue the conversation about brain health with you in this forum—digging deeper into topics that we touched upon in Broken Brain or delving into new ideas and science.
My CEO and Executive Producer of Broken Brain, Dhru Purohit, will be exploring a wide variety of topics on brain and overall health that you will want to know about. We’ll be talking with the top experts in Functional Medicine, skilled practitioners and authors we know and trust who are full of evidence-based recommendations on being the healthiest you!
Dhru sat down recently with our good friend and Functional Medicine colleague Dr. Rangan Chatterjee of BBC’s Doctor in the House to talk about how food, mood, sleep, and relaxation can be applied to conditions that affect brain health, such as anxiety. Dr. Chatterjee has a deeply personal conversation with Dhru about his son’s health, how lifestyle contributes to chronic disease, and gives many tips on how to go from feeling sick to feeling fantastic.
This is a conversation you won’t find anywhere else.
In this episode, we dive into:
- Simple changes to improve health (2:40)
- Changing your thinking (11:35)
- Dr. Chatterjee’s son’s life-threatening emergency (13:38)
- Is chronic disease lifestyle related? (24:24)
- The science people aren’t aware of (29:25)
- Applying the 4 Pillar Plan to Anxiety – Food/Movement/Sleep/Stress (35:00)
- Reframing the idea of what disease is (46:08)
- Pillar 1: Food – Kitchen makeover (47:23)
- DHA for brain health (51:10)
- Dr. Hyman’s favorite lunch (52:15)
- Tips for families (54:00)
- Pillar 2: Movement – Increasing BDNF and strength training (57:43)
- Pillar 3: Sleep (1:10:15)
- Pillar 4: Stress and its impact (1:18:39)
I hope you enjoy this fascinating conversation! And watch for more experts to be featured in the coming weeks.
Wishing you health and happiness,
Mark Hyman, MD