As a practicing Functional Medicine doctor, you might be surprised to know that I got sick…really sick. I got so sick that I thought my brain had broken. I had brain fog and couldn’t remember my patients’ names; I was exhausted and just could not function. What I uncovered may surprise you. I’m sharing my story with you today because if you’re not feeling the best, there is hope you can turn your health around like I did.
We’re taking a short break from our regular Broken Brain Podcast episodes and sharing the full-length interview I did with Dhru for our Broken Brain documentary series. It will take you through all the details about how my health suffered and all the things I learned along the way. I will give you an in-depth look at how I healed and all the things you need to know about your own brain such as the importance of certain nutrients, how the brain changes, why chronic inflammation plays such a big role in disease, how toxins impact us, and much more.
In this episode, we dive into:
- Why I got sick (2:06)
- My healing process (7:00)
- How the body affects brain health (10:23)
- What’s the blood-brain barrier? (12:04)
- The impact of chemical exposures (16:18)
- Exercise has profound effects on brain health (19:07)
- The new science of the brain—neuroplasticity (21:05)
- Sugar as a brain toxin (22:20)
- Dementia case study “Bud” (23:14)
- Abnormal aging in our culture (28:36)
- Hormones and the brain (34:49)
- Inflammation’s role in brain degeneration (36:12)
- The importance of fats (37:50)
- Nutrients critical for brain health (42:31)
- Learning through play at any age (44:32)
- The power of sleep (45:38)
I hope this is helpful for you or someone you love. Cognitive decline does not have to be a normal part of aging, you can start doing something about it today.
Wishing you health and happiness,
Mark Hyman, MD
PS – If you enjoyed listening, you can tune into my new podcast The Doctor’s Farmacy, where we talk about all things that matter in health or find me on Instagram here. You can also find my good friend and Broken Brain executive producer, Dhru Purohit, on Instagram here.