Are there things happening in your body that you can’t see? We were all born with the genes that are code for everything in our physical bodies and even account for some personality traits. Genes determine hair and eye color, sleep patterns, how you detoxify, food sensitivities, and so much more!
Some genes have what are called SNPs and that’s when things can get complicated. Finding out if you have SNPs, and what they are, is important. Even though there are strengths and weaknesses to having SNPs, there are practical things you can do to support the genes you have so your body can function better—right now and in the future.
Today, our Broken Brain Podcast host Dhru talks to genetic expert and Naturopathic Doctor, Dr. Ben Lynch, author of the bestselling book Dirty Genes. Dhru and Dr. Ben discuss what dirty genes are and how we can clean them up! Dr. Ben shares his personal genetic testing story and how he manages a SNP in his MTHFR gene. You’ll get to hear Dr. Ben’s advice on finding a doctor who knows how to work with genetics and so much more.
In this episode, we dive into:
- What are dirty genes? (2:45)
- Are we doomed or will epigenetics save us? (4:25)
- SNPs in our genes (8:14)
- What is the MTHFR gene all about? (10:50)
- Dr. Ben puts the pieces together (20:50)
- Other important SNPs we may have (29:57)
- Cleaning up the COMT gene (34:34)
- Practical tips to scrub those genes clean (36:12)
- Dr. Ben’s approach to testing (40:56)
- Where can I find a skilled practitioner? (47:36)
- Thriving with the genes we have (52:02)
- Dr. Ben’s dream vision for gene testing (53:25)
- Finding Dr. Ben online; bonus book chapter (58:36)
I know you’ll love all the amazing information in this episode of The Broken Brain Podcast as much as I did.
Wishing you health and happiness,
Mark Hyman, MD