Download MP3 
Sugar. It’s the one ingredient that so many of us have an unhealthy love affair with that we can’t quite figure out how to give up. It’s in practically everything that is packaged and in many restaurant meals. Sugar is one food that UK-based nutritional therapist and Functional Medicine practitioner Angelique Panagos credits with her many health issues, including hormonal imbalances that caused years of pain and suffering for her and her family.
On today’s Broken Brain Podcast, our host, Dhru, talks to Angelique about her personal story revealing her battle with several eating disorders, Hashimoto’s, PCOS, and more. Angelique also shares her very personal account of having two miscarriages, a devastating occurrence that 15-20% of women face. In this podcast, you will get tons of practical tips, insights, and reflections that will leave you with a much deeper understanding of why so many women face these health issues. Angelique is on a mission to educate women about hormones and how to balance them.
In this episode, we dive into:
- How sugar affects hormones (3:36)
- What is PCOS and what does it affect? (6:03)
- Angelique’s story (10:43)
- Biggest misconceptions of eating disorders (16:19)
- Getting a Hashimoto’s diagnosis (19:55)
- Using food to heal (25:06)
- Kicking old habits and making positive changes (27:58)
- Why excessive exercise isn’t the answer (29:53)
- Paying attention to protein and fats (36:14)
- Constipation and fiber needs (41:28)
- Angelique’s struggle with miscarriages (44:48)
- Preconception planning – the dad’s side (57:03)
- Writing a book on hormones (1:05:59)
- Being realistic about the postpartum period (1:11:01)
- Learn more about Angelique and work with her (1:18:09)
I know you’ll be captivated by Angelique’s story in this episode of The Broken Brain Podcast as I was. Enjoy.
Wishing you health and happiness,
Mark Hyman, MD
PS – For more on Angelique, be sure to follow her on Instagram @angeliquepanagos  and on Twitter @apnutrition . Check out her website www.angeliquepanagos.com  and listen to her on two wonderful podcast interviews, one with Dr. Rangan Chatterjee here , and another one with naturopathic doctor Ben Brown, here . You can also find her book The Balance Plan: Six Steps to Optimise your Hormonal Health, right here .