Did you know that Alzheimer’s is a preventable disease? Our lifestyle choices today are extremely important variables, that are clearly connected to our brains destiny. Taking an active role in improving the health of our brain can help prevent some of the most debilitating chronic illnesses we face, such as Alzheimer’s, dementia, and Parkinson’s.
On today’s Broken Brain Podcast, our host, Dhru, talks to Dr. David Perlmutter, a Board-Certified Neurologist, and four-time New York Times best-selling author. In this podcast, we discuss the latest scientific research and the most effective ways you can maximize your brain’s potential. Dr. Perlmutter talks about how elevated markers of inflammation in your blood today are setting the stage for Alzheimer’s years from now, and how leveraging lifestyle factors can pave the way for a healthier brain.
Chronic degenerative conditions are the number one cause of death on the planet. The proactive steps we take today can safeguard ourselves against cognitive decline and neurological disease. We can change our destiny by making better choices, and Dr. Perlmutter tells us exactly how to do that!
In this episode, we dive into:
- Why Alzheimer’s is a preventable disease (7:33)
- Lifestyle factors and setting the stage for Alzheimer’s years from now (8:45)
- Blood sugar and the risk of dementia (11:44)
- What you should do today to support your brain health (14:10)
- The importance of the chemical BDNF on brain function (17:01)
- Ketones and super fuel for brain cells (23:01)
- Benefits of MCT oil (29:34)
- The importance of prebiotic fiber in your diet (33:01)
- Difference between Atkins and a ketogenic diet (34:30)
- Being vegetarian on a ketogenic diet (35:58)
- DNA testing (36:57)
- Alzheimer’s gene APOA4 and the effectiveness of a ketogenic diet for brain function (39:28)
- Risk factors associated with Parkinson’s and Alzheimer’s (41:47)
- The connection to IBD and Parkinson’s disease (43:55)
- Dr. Perlmutter’s daily non-negotiables as it relates to brain health (49:25)
- The 5-year anniversary of Dr. Perlmutter’s book, Grain Brain (59:50)
I know you’ll love this episode of The Broken Brain Podcast as much as I did.
Wishing you health and happiness,
Mark Hyman, MD
PS – For more on Dr. David Perlmutter, be sure to follow him on Instagram @davidperlmutter and on Twitter @DavidPerlmutter. Check out his website www.drperlmutter.com and, you can also find the 5 Year Anniversary Revised Edition of Grain Brain, right here.