Did you know that 50% of human DNA is shared with fungi? Not quite plant and not quite animal, mushrooms occupy a pretty unique place in the biosphere. Mushrooms account for 25% of the Earth’s total biomass, and 92% of all plants are dependent upon mushrooms for their survival. When it comes to the idea of food-as-medicine, nothing really encapsulates the concept like mushrooms. Their antiviral and anti-inflammatory properties hold great potential to combat many of our largest health problems. Current research shows that functional mushrooms have a myriad of healing properties such as inhibiting cancer cell growth, balancing excess hormones, and reducing chronic fatigue. The list of vital nutrients found in mushrooms is extensive. With all these benefits packed into one delicate functional fungi, it’s no wonder mushrooms are referred to as the original superfood.
On today’s Broken Brain Podcast, our host, Dhru, talks to Tero Isokauppila, a Finnish foraging expert, and founder of Four Sigmatic, a company specializing in functional mushrooms, superfoods, and adaptogens. He is also the author of Healing Mushrooms: A Practical and Culinary Guide to Using Mushrooms for Whole Body Health and Santa Sold Shrooms, the untold story of Saint Nicholas. In this podcast, we discuss all things functional mushrooms and the power that these superfoods have to improve our health. We also talk about the difference between functional and culinary mushrooms, how mushrooms can improve our gut health, as well as the research on how mushrooms support cognitive function. Tero also shares with us the surprising story of the most famous person on earth, Santa Claus, and how he sold shrooms!
There are so many incredible benefits yet to be realized from the fungi kingdom. Tero has dedicated his life to studying the link between health and mushrooms and shares with us how incorporating them into your daily routine can take your health and longevity to the next level.
In this episode, we dive into:
- Why mushrooms are important for humans and the similarity between our DNA (5:54)
- The difference between culinary mushrooms and medicinal mushrooms (9:17)
- How functional mushrooms support our immune system and the best mushrooms for health (12:45)
- Mushrooms and brain health (14:29)
- The best herbs used for cognitive function (17:18)
- The connection between mushrooms and gut health (18:55)
- How Tero got into medicinal mushrooms and made it his life mission to make mushrooms more accessible to everyone (23:35)
- Why people with certain conditions should avoid some mushrooms (32:58)
- Tero’s advice on creating something in the health space (40:17)
- The story of Santa Claus and how he sold shrooms (47:19)
- Tero’s recommendation for people who are just starting off using mushrooms (53:08)
I know you’ll love this episode of The Broken Brain Podcast as much as I did.
Wishing you health and happiness,
Mark Hyman, MD
PS – For more on Tero Isokauppila, be sure to follow him on Instagram @iamtero and @foursigmatic. Check out his website http://www.teroisokauppila.com and https://us.foursigmatic.com. You can also find his books Healing Mushrooms: A Practical and Culinary Guide to Using Mushrooms for Whole Body Health and Santa Sold Shrooms, right here.