Download MP3 
Did you know that the postpartum hormone drop is considered the largest sudden hormone change in the shortest amount of time… and it has a tremendous impact on the brain? With such a dramatic drop in hormone levels it’s no surprise that 1 in 7 women struggle with postpartum depression and anxiety after birth. Why does postpartum depression happen so often, and more importantly, what is the cure?
On today’s Broken Brain Podcast, our host, Dhru, talks to Dr. Maggie Ney, a licensed Naturopathic Doctor and women’s health advocate. She is also the founder and director of the Women’s Clinic at the Akasha Center for Integrative Medicine in Santa Monica, California. In this podcast, we do a deep dive into the postpartum experience—from postpartum depression to “mommy brain” to hormonal shifts, and understanding the changes that happen in the brain during the postpartum period.
Dr. Ney shares her own health challenges as a young adult and how that inspired her journey into naturopathic medicine. We discuss how the interaction of diet, lifestyle, mindset, and environment affect a woman’s hormones and the aging process. We also talk about the importance of developing an individualized treatment plan that addresses the root cause of hormone imbalances. Once obstacles to health are identified and removed, and the body is given appropriate support and nourishment, optimal health can be obtained.
Dr. Ney’s mission is to empower women to understand their bodies and to help optimize their health, so they can live their best lives.
In this episode, we dive into:
- Navigating the postpartum period (5:43)
- The impact of poor sleep on the brain (10:36)
- The importance of nutrition and community in the postpartum period (18:04)
- Changes in the brain during the postpartum period (22:10)
- Dr. Ney’s recommendations for new moms (30:03)
- Infertility, lab tests, and what obstacles to look for (34:32)
- Hormonal shifts during perimenopause and menopause (39:36)
- Benefits of acupuncture in supporting hormonal transitions (43:50)
- Support tools during menopause (45:57)
- Basic lab tests to ask your doctor for (47:53)
- Genetics and Premenstrual Disorder (PMDD) (62:31)
- Symptoms associated with thyroid dysfunction and what tests to ask your doctor for (64:50)
- Optimizing liver function and gut health (70:02)
- Learn more about Dr. Ney and her work (76)
I know you’ll love this episode of The Broken Brain Podcast as much as I did.
Wishing you health and happiness,
Mark Hyman, MD