Did you know that 77% of Americans say they regularly experience symptoms caused by stress, 50% experience fatigue, and 30% experience digestive issues? Digestive upset and fatigue together are an excellent combination for impairing the immune system, and therefore, it becomes a collective journey to heal the body.
On today’s Broken Brain Podcast, our host, Dhru, talks to Meghan Telpner, a Toronto-based author, speaker, nutritionist, and founder of the Academy of Culinary Nutrition. She is also the bestselling author of UnDiet: Eat Your Way to Vibrant Health and The UnDiet Cookbook. In this podcast, we talk about the factors that contribute to autoimmune disease, potential triggers, and steps to begin the healing process. We talk about how to find the right practitioner to support you on your healing journey and the importance of being your own best health advocate. We also talk about the importance of spending time in your kitchen cooking meals from scratch and really paying attention to what is going into the food you are eating.
Meghan shares with us a simple, attainable, and most importantly, a sustainable approach to living life well!
In this episode, we dive into:
- Meghan’s personal story and being diagnosed with Crohn’s (1:38)
- The gut-brain connection and how the microbiome affects our mental health (11:04)
- What is missing in treating most autoimmune diseases (13:25)
- The importance of sleep in supporting our immune system (20:38)
- Environmental triggers that upset your microbiome (21:31)
- Three factors that contribute to autoimmune diseases (25:13)
- How to find the right practitioner to support you on your healing journey (32:42)
- How to write your own health resume (37:49)
- Tips for families with kids and cooking (58:31)
- The Academy of Culinary Nutrition (65:36)
- Learn more about Meghan and her work (69:47)
I know you’ll love this episode of The Broken Brain Podcast as much as I did.
Wishing you health and happiness,
Mark Hyman, MD
PS – For more on Meghan Telpner, be sure to follow her on Instagram @meghantelpner, Facebook at @meghantelpner and YouTube @megtelpner. Check out her website https://www.meghantelpner.com. You can also find her books Undiet: Eat Your Way to Vibrant Health and The Undiet Cookbook: 130 Gluten-Free Recipes for a Healthy Awesome Life, right here. Lastly, check out Meghan’s free culinary nutrition mini course here.