The modern industrialized diet is the primary culprit behind the heart disease, cancer, Alzheimer’s, type 2 diabetes, and obesity epidemics. A massive study found that last year the modern diet fueled 678,282 deaths in the United States and 11 million worldwide. In just one year!
On today’s Broken Brain Podcast, our host, Dhru, talks to Ocean Robbins, CEO and co-founder of the 500,000-plus-member Food Revolution Network—one of the largest communities of healthy eating advocates on the planet. He is also the author of 31-Day Food Revolution: Heal Your Body, Feel Great, & Transform Your World. In this podcast, we talk about Ocean’s compelling family story of founding and leaving behind the Baskin-Robbins empire in favor of healthy, sustainable, plant-powered eating. We discuss the myths and truths about GMOs, and the problem with factory farming. We talk about Ocean’s food philosophy, and how his diet has evolved over the years to include a small amount of animal protein. We also talk about activism and transforming the industrialized food culture into one that celebrates and supports healthy people and a healthy planet.
In this episode, we dive into:
- Ocean’s family history/starting Baskin-Robbins (3:51)
- The vision and purpose behind Ocean’s new book, 31-Day Food Revolution (10:28)
- The myths and truths about GMOs (12:14)
- Ocean’s food philosophy (23:00)
- The problem with factory farming (26:45)
- Laboratory-grown meat (31:31)
- Ocean’s diet as kid and what it looks like today (36:21)
- Why Ocean decided to incorporate a small amount of animal products into his diet (40:21)
- Foods that can make the biggest difference when it comes to brain health (44:15)
- Personalizing your diet (51:09)
- Activism and stepping into our own food revolution (58:58)
- How to incorporate community into your own life (1:03:23)
- Learn more about Ocean and his work (1:08:21)
I know you’ll love this episode of The Broken Brain Podcast as much as I did.
Wishing you health and happiness,
Mark Hyman, MD
PS – For more on Ocean Robbins, be sure to follow him on Instagram @foodrevolutionnetwork, Facebook at @foodrevolutionnetwork, and YouTube @foodrevolutionnetwork. Check out his website https://foodrevolution.org. You can also find his new book 31-Day Food Revolution: Heal your body, feel great, and transform your world, right here.