Are you jumping from diet to diet and nothing seems to work? Are you sick of seeing contradictory health advice from experts? Just like the tobacco industry lied to us about the dangers of cigarettes, the same untruths, cover-ups, and deceptive practices are occurring in the food industry. Vani Hari, aka The Food Babe, blows the lid off of the lies we’ve been fed about the food we eat—lies about its nutrient value, effects on our health, label information, and even the very science we base our food choices on.
On today’s Broken Brain Podcast, our host, Dhru, talks to Vani Hari, a food activist, New York Times best-selling author of The Food Babe Way, and co-founder of Truvani. Through corporate activism, petitions, and social media campaigns, Hari and her Food Babe Army have become one of the most powerful populist forces in the health and food industries. In this podcast, we talk about the deception by the food industry, scientists, and the media designed to manipulate us, suppress the truth, and ignore the unnecessary harm in our food supply. We also talk about action steps we can take now to be our own food advocate, and three simple questions we can ask ourselves before every meal to transform our health.
In this episode, we dive into:
- How the media, big food, academia, and “trusted” sources silence activists (12:12)
- Vani’s personal story and what inspired her to get into this work (15:28)
- The results of her advocacy efforts (27:35)
- Astroturfing and how activists are being silenced to stifle the truth (36:25)
- Wikipedia editors who are paid to deceive (37:14)
- Front groups and how the food industry uses them (38:55)
- How the food industry works with public university scientists to advance their agendas (44:06)
- The American Heart Association’s advisory on coconut oil and how it was a major conflict of interest with the food industry (56:38)
- How we can be better informed about real science and real nutrition (59:40)
- Vani’s recommendation of organizations you can trust (1:01:48)
- The three question detox that will transform your health (1:06:14)
- Vani walks us through a day-in-the-life of what her and her family eat (1:08:30)
- Vani’s product company, Truvani (1:15:21)
- Learn more about Vani and her work (1:20:54)
I know you’ll love this episode of The Broken Brain Podcast as much as I did.
Wishing you health and happiness,
Mark Hyman, MD
PS – For more on Vani Hari, be sure to follow her on Instagram @thefoodbabe and @foodbabemama, and on Facebook @thefoodbabe. Check out her website https://foodbabe.com. You can also find her new book Feeding You Lies: How to Unravel the Food Industry’s Playbook and Reclaim Your Health, right here.