According to Harvard Medical School, stress is an epidemic that is responsible for 90% of all doctors visits. It can negatively impact our relationships and our ability to perform at the top of our game. It’s become so widespread that we accept it as “normal” to have insomnia, digestive issues, and chronic anxiety. It’s clear that stress reduction needs to be a part of our personal wellness routines.
On today’s Broken Brain Podcast, our host, Dhru, talks to Emily Fletcher, the founder of Ziva Meditation and creator of The Ziva Technique. She’s been named one of the top 100 women in wellness to watch, has taught more than 15,000 students around the world, and has spoken on meditation for performance at Google, Harvard Business School, Viacom, and Wanderlust. Ziva graduates include Oscar, Grammy, Tony, and Emmy award winners, NBA players, Navy SEALs, Fortune 500 CEOs, busy parents, and social entrepreneurs. Her debut book, Stress Less, Accomplish More, was just released by HarperCollins on February 19th.
In this episode, Dhru and Emily break down the topic of stress and how we can use meditation to truly help us accomplish more, feel better, and live life with more intention. They also talk about how meditation can impact our sex life, performance, and enjoyment of life. Throughout their talk, we hear about the science of meditation and the positive effects it has on cellular aging. And Emily dismantles the #1 myth about meditation and discusses how to bring meditation into your life in a practical and tangible way.
In this episode, we dive into:
- How meditation can up-level our performance in the bedroom (5:30)
- Mirror neurons and how they affect our sex lives (8:03)
- Emily’s Come to Your Senses mindfulness technique (10:54)
- The connection between sexual energy and creative (15:32)
- Emily’s new book, Stress Less, Accomplish More and the inspiration behind it (16:45)
- Emily shares her story and how she got into meditation (20:34)
- Case studies of Emily’s students (22:30)
- The science of meditation and how it impacts the brain (28:30)
- How meditation supported Emily through her pregnancy and how she incorporates into her life as a new mom (36:03)
- How meditation is a tool to build resilience (42:46)
- How meditation lengthens telomeres and slows the rate of cellular aging (45:12)
- Meditation and community (55:05)
- The Ziva Technique (59:24)
- Learn more about Emily and her work (62:59)
I know you’ll love this episode of The Broken Brain Podcast as much as I did.
Wishing you health and happiness,
Mark Hyman, MD
PS – For more on Emily Fletcher, be sure to follow her on Instagram @zivameditation and @emilystellafletcher. Check out her website https://zivameditation.com. You can also find her new book Stress Less, Accomplish More, right here