We are a society that praises being busy. The more you cram into a day and the fewer hours you need to sleep the more productive and successful you seem, but are you? And at what cost?
On today’s Broken Brain Podcast, our host, Dhru, talks to Dr. Saundra Dalton-Smith, an author, speaker, and board-certified internal medicine physician. Dr. Dalton-Smith is an international media resource on the mind-body-spirit connection and one of the top 100 medical experts in Good Housekeeping Doctors’ Secrets. She has been featured in many media outlets including Women’s Day, Redbook, First For Women, MSNBC, and Prevention. She is the author of Set Free to Live Free and Come Empty. Her newest release is Sacred Rest: Recover Your Life, Renew Your Energy, Restore Your Sanity.
In this episode, Dhru and Dr. Saundra talk about the seven types of rest and why a deficiency in any one of these areas can have unfavorable effects on your health, happiness, relationships, creativity, and productivity. They discuss why so many people struggle with fatigue and insomnia, and the importance of giving yourself permission to embrace rest. They also talk about setting boundaries, and how to increase your overall happiness to live your best life.
In this episode, we dive into:
- Dr. Saundra’s personal story and what inspired her work (2:21)
- Why so many people struggle with insomnia and fatigue (5:21)
- The difference between sleep and rest (7:57)
- The 7 types of rest (9:46)
- How to prioritize rest using the R-E-S-T method (12:56)
- The importance of rest when it comes to our overall health (15:14)
- How to create boundaries when it comes to rest (23:22)
- How a lack of rest negatively impacts brain function (24:20)
- The Gifts of Rest (27:26)
- Dr. Saundra’s tips for parents on rest (33:16)
- The importance of community and intentional friendships (39:55)
- Learn more about Dr. Saundra and her work (47:43)
I know you’ll love this episode of The Broken Brain Podcast as much as I did.
Wishing you health and happiness,
Mark Hyman, MD
PS – For more on Dr. Saundra Dalton-Smith, be sure to follow her on Instagram @DrDaltonSmith, on Facebook @DrSaundraDaltonSmith, on Twitter @DrDaltonSmith, and on Pinterest @DrDaltonSmith. Check out her website https://ichoosemybestlife.com and her book, Sacred Rest: Recover Your Life, Renew Your Energy, Restore Your Sanity, right here. You can also take her free Rest Quiz to find out what type of rest you need to live your best life.