Autism affects 1 in every 59 children in the US. This includes 1 in 37 boys and 1 in 151 girls, according to the CDC. The diagnosis of autism can be shocking and difficult for parents and families which may leave them feeling isolated, alone, helpless, and hopeless, but it doesn’t have to be that way.
On today’s Broken Brain Podcast, our host, Dhru, talks to Dr. Theresa Lyons, an International Autism Educator, Ivy League Scientist, and parent of an autistic child. Dr. Lyons is the premiere voice of scientific reason in the world of autism and has become known as “The Professor of Healing Autism.” Dr. Lyons works with hospital systems, private and non-governmental organizations, and parents to drastically diminish the knowledge gap between the cutting edge science of healing autism and current patient care, so that medical expenses are decreased, burdens on governmental programs, including education, are lessened, and the child flourishes.
In this episode, Dhru and Dr. Lyons talk about the science of treating autism spectrum disorder and why the life expectancy of someone on the spectrum is so low. They discuss Dr. Lyon’s Autism Healing Matrix and the necessary steps to take to begin to treat autism. They also talk about how to support parents who have kids on the spectrum, the importance of celebrating success, and how to bring more joy into the parent/child relationship.
In this episode, we dive into:
- The science of the autism spectrum (5:32)
- Why the life expectancy of someone on the autism spectrum is so low (8:12)
- Why autism is on the rise (10:25)
- Dr. Lyon’s personal story of her daughter being diagnosed with severe autism (14:48)
- The first steps of treating autism (20:27)
- The Autism Healing Matrix (27:51)
- How diet plays a role when it comes to autism (35:42)
- The importance of building a healthcare team (42:47)
- Supplements for autism (48:26)
- Melatonin for sleep disorders in autism (54:24)
- Gut dysbiosis and autism (58:10)
- Educational approaches for the developmental catch-up phase (1:04:11)
- The importance of celebrating successes (1:10:25)
- How to support parents who have kids on the autism spectrum (1:21:16)
- Learn more about Theresa and her work (1:30:04)
I know you’ll love this episode of The Broken Brain Podcast as much as I did.
Wishing you health and happiness,
Mark Hyman, MD
PS – For more on Dr. Theresa Lyons, be sure to follow her on Instagram @navigating_awetism, on Facebook @NavigatingAWEtism, on YouTube @NavigatingAwetism, and at her website https://awetism.net. Check out her online courses: Probiotics to Heal Awetism and Eat to Heal Awetism. Also, be sure to check out Dr. Mark Hyman’s exclusive interview with Dr. Suzanne Goh, a board-certified pediatric neurologist and leader in the treatment of autism spectrum disorder, right here.