1.7 million people suffer some type of traumatic brain injury each year in the US—from a mild concussion to coma to death. It is estimated that 5.3 million Americans suffer from a long-term disability from a traumatic brain injury.
On today’s Broken Brain Podcast, our host, Dhru, talks to JJ Virgin, a celebrity nutrition expert and Fitness Hall of Famer. JJ is the author of four New York Times best sellers: The Virgin Diet, The Virgin Diet Cookbook, JJ Virgin’s Sugar Impact Diet, and JJ Virgin’s Sugar Impact Diet Cookbook. Her latest book, Warrior Mom: 7 Secrets to Bold, Brave Resilience, shows mothers everywhere how to be strong, positive leaders for their families, while exploring the inspirational lessons she learned as she fought for her own son’s life.
In this episode, Dhru and JJ talk about how she helped her son heal from a traumatic brain injury. They discuss some of the therapies that helped her son recover, like hyperbaric oxygen therapy, neurofeedback, and stem cell therapy. They talk about why fish oil is critical for mental health and traumatic brain injury recovery, as well as the benefits of a ketogenic diet. They also talk about the lessons she learned from this journey that are crucial to building a healthy, resilient mindset.
In this episode, we dive into:
- JJ’s personal story of her son’s traumatic brain injury (2:22)
- How do you know if you’ve had a traumatic brain injury (7:19)
- Traumatic brain injuries and depression (8:18)
- Why fish oil is critical for mental health and traumatic brain injury recovery (9:27)
- The benefits of a ketogenic diet for brain injuries (25:12)
- Connecting the dots between what you eat and how you feel (27:41)
- Hyperbaric oxygen therapy to help with brain healing (30:39)
- Stem cell therapy (31:26)
- Why putting your health first is not selfish (46:56)
- The importance of asking the right questions to reframe a situation (50:05)
- An important lesson for caregivers (56:38)
- Traumatic brain injuries and the lack of support and community (57:25)
- The single most important thing you can do to be healthy (59:59)
- The importance of quality relationships with friends and family (1:03:46)
- Mindshare Summit for health and wellness entrepreneurs (1:07:25)
- Learn more about JJ and her work (1:13:22)
I know you’ll love this episode of The Broken Brain Podcast as much as I did.
Wishing you health and happiness,
Mark Hyman, MD
PS – For more on JJ Virgin, be sure to follow her on Instagram @jj.virgin, on Facebook @JJVirginOfficial, and on YouTube @JJVirgin. Check out her podcast The JJ Virgin Lifestyle Show, and check her website https://jjvirgin.com. You also can find her books right here.