Download MP3 
What you choose to put on your plate is one of the most important health interventions you can make. Food not only affects our likelihood of disease, but it can lengthen our lives, change our mood, and even affect the expression of our DNA. By approaching disease with a holistic perspective, of which food is a vital part, we can tackle the root causes of disease and truly live well.
On today’s Broken Brain Podcast, our host, Dhru, talks to Dr. Rupy Aujla, an NHS medical doctor and founder of The Doctor’s Kitchen, a project to inspire patients about the beauty of food and medicinal effects of eating well. Dr. Rupy is the founder of Culinary Medicine, a nonprofit organization which aims to teach doctors and medical students the foundations of nutrition as well as teaching them how to cook. He is also the author of two bestselling cookbooks The Doctor’s Kitchen and his latest book, Eat to Beat Illness.
In this episode, Dhru and Dr. Rupy talk about how our bodies can better fight off illness through eating well. They discuss how we can eat to reduce the risk of brain disease, cardiovascular problems, inflammation imbalance, poor immunity, and even reduce the chances of cancer. They also talk about how we can heal our bodies through simple lifestyle changes including exercise, stress reduction, sleeping well, and finding purpose in our lives.
- Dr. Rupy shares how he healed his own heart condition through food and lifestyle intervention (1:45)
- The connection between lifestyle and heart disease (5:01)
- The impact our diet can have on the function of our brain (11:12)
- Foods to support brain health (18:07)
- Quality fats for brain health (21:15)
- Lifestyle factors and tips for sleep (28:35)
- The power of gratitude (33:41)
- Exercise and why inflammation in small amounts might be a good thing (36:48)
- Mitochondrial support, improving immune function, and boosting immunity (45:05)
- The connection between the immune system and gut health (46:58)
- Food additives in seemingly healthy foods and how they impact the body (55:12)
- Skin health and acne (57:14)
- Culinary Medicine (1:00:59)
- Eat to beat cancer (1:11:59)
- Dr. Rupy’s online course to learn the key aspects of healthy eating that have the biggest impact on your wellbeing (1:14:02)
- Learn more about Dr. Rupy and his work (1:16:56)
I know you’ll love this episode of The Broken Brain Podcast as much as I did.
Wishing you health and happiness,
Mark Hyman, MD
PS – For more on Dr. Rupy, be sure to follow him on Instagram @doctors_kitchen , on Facebook @thedoctorskitchen , on Twitter @doctors_kitchen , and on YouTube @thedoctorskitchen . Check out his website www.thedoctorskitchen.com  and his podcast, The Doctor’s Kitchen, here . You can learn more about his online course, here , and you can find his books, The Doctor’s Kitchen and Eat to Beat Illness, right here .