What often blocks most people from success and feeling capable in life is the ability to experience, move through, and handle unpleasant feelings, such as sadness, shame, helplessness, anger, embarrassment, disappointment, frustration, and vulnerability.
Knowing how to deal with intense, overwhelming, or uncomfortable feelings is essential to building confidence, emotional strength, and resilience. Yet when we distract or disconnect from these feelings, we move away from confidence, health, and our desired pursuits, ultimately undermining our ability to fully realize our ambitions.
On today’s Broken Brain Podcast, our host, Dhru, talks to Dr. Joan Rosenberg, a psychologist who is known as an innovative thinker, acclaimed speaker, and trainer. She is a professor of graduate psychology at Pepperdine University in Los Angeles, CA, and is a two-time TEDx speaker and member of the Association of Transformational Leaders. Dr. Rosenberg has been featured in the documentary I Am, The Miracle Mindset, Pursuing Happiness, and The Hidden Epidemic. She’s been seen on CNN’s American Morning, the OWN network, and PBS, as well as appearances and radio interviews in all of the major metropolitan markets. Her latest book, 90 Seconds to a Life You Love: How to Master Your Difficult Feelings to Cultivate Lasting Confidence, Resilience and Authenticity, was released this past February.
In this episode, Dhru and Dr. Rosenberg talk about how to work through unpleasant feelings, and how to build emotional strength to create the life of your dreams. They discuss why worrying about what other people think of you is really just a distraction from feeling vulnerable, and why harsh self-criticism is one of the most destructive things we can do to ourselves. They also talk about why speaking your truth is the most important action to take to cultivate confidence, authenticity, and resilience.
In this episode, we dive into:
- How our emotions are tied to our success (1:59)
- Why it’s so difficult for us to experience unpleasant feelings (11:59)
- Why labeling our feelings is so important (16:54)
- How to build confidence (25:25)
- How to stay present to your feelings through The Rosenberg Reset Formula (31:28)
- What is really underneath fear and anxiety (38:08)
- How to release painful memories and old stories (44:22)
- The importance of speaking your truth to build confidence (52:32)
- Why compliments are so difficult to receive (1:04:50)
- Finding your purpose (1:08:03)
- How to be resilient in the face of change (1:12:23)
- Learn more about Dr. Rosenberg and her work (1:16:22)
I know you’ll love this episode of The Broken Brain Podcast as much as I did.
Wishing you health and happiness,
Mark Hyman, MD
PS – For more on Dr. Joan Rosenberg, be sure to follow her on Instagram @drjoanrosenberg, on Facebook @drjrosenberg, and on Twitter @drjoanrosenberg. Check out her website https://drjoanrosenberg.com. You can find her book, 90 Seconds to a Life You Love: How to Master Your Difficult Feelings to Cultivate Lasting Confidence, Resilience and Authenticity, right here. Lastly, here is a bonus gift from Dr. Rosenberg: https://drjoanrosenberg.com/gift.