Is there something that you’re dreaming about—that you would love to share with the world, but maybe you’re afraid to give a voice to it because you’re not sure how it will turn out, what others will think, or how you can make money doing something that you truly love?
On today’s Broken Brain Podcast, our host, Dhru, talks to Max Lugavere, a filmmaker, health and science journalist, and the author of the New York Times best-selling book Genius Foods: Become Smarter, Happier, and More Productive While Protecting Your Brain for Life. He is also the host of the #1 iTunes health podcast The Genius Life. Lugavere appears regularly on the Dr. Oz Show, The Rachael Ray Show, and The Doctors. He has contributed to Medscape, Vice, Fast Company, CNN, and the Daily Beast, has been featured on NBC Nightly News, The Today Show, and in The Wall Street Journal. He is a sought-after speaker and has given talks at South by Southwest, TEDx, the New York Academy of Sciences, the Biohacker Summit in Stockholm, Sweden, and many others.
In this episode, Dhru and Max talk about the steps it takes to build your career in the wellness space, and how to put out content that is true to you. They also talk about the lessons he learned from putting out award-winning documentaries, New York Times best-selling books, and a #1 ranked health podcast.
In this episode, we dive into:
- Max’s background story (4:30)
- What inspired Max to create a documentary on the prevention of neurodegenerative diseases (14:10)
- How to move through imposter syndrome (27:34)
- How to find your voice (34:08)
- How Max funded his first documentary (41:43)
- How to financially support yourself when you are first starting out on your entrepreneurship journey (52:40)
- How Max’s documentary ended up on the Dr. Oz show (1:09:02)
- How to write a book proposal (1:26:04)
- The process of writing a book (1:29:38)
- How to pitch a podcast (1:37:45)
- How to make a living in the field you are passionate about (1:46:10)
I know you’ll love this episode of The Broken Brain Podcast as much as I did.
Wishing you health and happiness,
Mark Hyman, MD
PS – For more on Max Lugavere, be sure to follow him on Instagram @maxlugavere, on Facebook @maxlugavere, on Twitter @maxlugavere, and on YouTube @maxlugavere. Check out his podcast, The Genius Life, here, and check out his website https://www.maxlugavere.com. You can order his book, Genius Foods, right here. His new book, The Genius Life: Heal Your Mind, Strengthen Your Body, and Become Extraordinary, will be released March 2020.