Our friendships are an integral part of who we are and how we evolve. Even though we don’t need each other to survive anymore, we do need each other to thrive. All of the best things in life come from connection, community, and our relationships.
On today’s Broken Brain Podcast, we are sharing an interview with our host, Dhru Purohit, who was interviewed by our dear friend, Shawn Stevenson, on his podcast The Model Health Show. Dhru Purohit is a serial entrepreneur, investor, and documentary filmmaker. He is also the CEO of Dr. Hyman Enterprises and The UltraWellness Center, a Functional Medicine based clinic that specializes in treating chronic disease through personalized medicine. Dhru is a contributing author to two New York Times bestsellers, Clean Gut and Clean Eats, and helped launch the global “clean eating” revolution by co-founding The Clean Program.
In this episode, Dhru and Shawn talk about how our friendships are the most influential thing on our health, success, and happiness. They discuss how social media has made it easier than ever to connect with others, but the challenge comes when we trade our online friends for our offline friends. Our online connections can deepen our friendships, but they aren’t a replacement for real human connection. They also talk about the foundation of an incredible relationship, and why the bigger your goals and dreams are in life, the more you need community and friends to have your back.
In this episode, we dive into:
- Why Dhru puts so much intention into friendship (4:23)
- The Framingham Study and why you are more likely to become obese when a close friend becomes obese (7:38)
- Why connection with other human beings is critical to thriving (11:30)
- How selecting your group of friends is the ultimate form of biohacking (14:38)
- How to make intentional friends (20:41)
- How to create deeper, more meaningful friendships (28:30)
- The importance of an opt-out event (33:47)
- Why making friends is more difficult for men (37:37)
- Why meaningful friendships and connections are about depth, not about quantity (38:53)
- Where to learn more about Dhru Purohit (56:23)
I know you’ll love this episode of The Broken Brain Podcast as much as I did.
Wishing you health and happiness,
Mark Hyman, MD
For more on Shawn Stevenson, be sure to follow him on Instagram @ShawnModel, and on Facebook @TheModelHealthShow. Check out his podcast The Model Health Show, and check his website https://themodelhealthshow.com. You also can find his book, Sleep Smarter, right here.