Chances are your body feels some form of stress every day, whether it’s inflammation, bloating, tension, discomfort, anxiety, or pain during sex. We’re constantly distracted by ailments we can’t quite seem to fix.
Body alignment expert Lauren Roxburgh believes that all of these problems can be solved by first unlocking the foundation of your mental and physical health: the pelvic floor. Located at the root of our pelvis, it determines how firm our core is, how we handle stress, and how much energy reaches the rest of our body. Without addressing the health of our pelvic floor, we are all missing out on a powerful key component of our overall physical, emotional, and spiritual health.
On today’s Broken Brain Podcast, our host, Dhru, talks to Lauren Roxburgh, an international author, speaker, educator and corporate presenter, frequently dubbed “The Body Whisperer.” Lauren is a board-certified Structural Integration practitioner with a degree in nutrition and exercise physiology.
She is the go-to writer and expert on all things fascia, alignment, and movement medicine, and regularly works with Hollywood’s A-List along with some of the greatest athletes and orthopedic surgeons on the planet. Named the “Body Alignment Pro” by Vogue, Lauren has also been listed as one of the 16 Women in Wellness to Watch in 2019 by Chalkboard Magazine. She’s also the founder of the Aligned Tribe Community, the virtual Aligned Life Studio and the creator of the signature Aligned Healing Tools.
In this episode, Dhru and Lauren talk about how the pain we feel in certain areas of our bodies—for example, our jaw or shoulders—is actually rooted somewhere else in the body like the diaphragm or the pelvic floor. They discuss the common ways our bodies become misaligned and how we can identify these problem areas. They also talk about some indicators that pain is related to emotional stagnation and how that energy connects to our physical experience.
In this episode, we dive into:
- Why we should reframe the way we view pain in our body (4:09)
- What is fascia and why is it important (8:47)
- Why TMJ might actually be an issue with your pelvic floor (12:27)
- How trauma lives in our connective tissues (16:09)
- The 5 power centers in our body and how they affect our energy and all aspects of our life (19:45)
- Tools to deal with modern day stress (54:48)
- Foods that are beneficial for your fascia (1:03:05)
- The root cause of painful sex and what you can do about it (1:06:45)
- How to find love and acceptance for our body (1:11:12)
- Where to learn more about Lauren Roxburgh (1:14:27)
- Lauren’s book recommendations (1:20:47)
I know you’ll love this episode of The Broken Brain Podcast as much as I did.
Wishing you health and happiness,
Mark Hyman, MD
PS – For more on Lauren Roxburgh, be sure to follow her on Instagram @loroxburgh. Check out her website https://laurenroxburgh.com. Join the Aligned Tribe Community. Check out the virtual Aligned Life Studio, and the Aligned Healing Tools. You can find her book, The Power Source: The Hidden Key to Ignite Your Core, Empower Your Body, Release Stress, and Realign Your Life, right here.