Women have an important biological rhythm they experience every month that affects productivity, weight, sex drive, energy, and mood. It’s essential to stay aware of, but it has been widely ignored by medical, nutritional, and fitness research. Women often diet, deprive, and cram as much as possible into their day, striving to accomplish impossible to-do lists. I see so many of them scheduling their lives based on a 24-hour time cycle, ignoring the intuitive time their bodies naturally keep: a monthly cycle with four hormonal phases. Understanding these offers some incredible advantages.
On today’s Broken Brain Podcast, our host, Dhru, talks to Alisa Vitti, a pioneer of female biohacking, and a women’s hormone and functional nutrition expert. She is the bestselling author of WomanCode, and her new book, In the FLO is already a bestseller. She is the creator of the Cycle Syncing Method™— a diet, fitness, and lifestyle program that is based on women’s biological rhythms for optimal health, fitness, and productivity.
In this episode, Dhru and Alisa talk about how we are overlooking a second biological rhythm that only women in their reproductive years have called the infradian rhythm. This is just as important for women to take care as their circadian rhythm in their reproductive years, because it affects six key systems of the body. They discuss how mainstream health plans, self-care routines, fitness regimens, and time management schedules, and even the power morning concept are all founded on a system that only optimizes male biology and leaves out the specialized and cyclical needs of women. They also talk about how to work with each phase of your cycle to support your hormones, unlock peak creativity and performance, and avoid burnout.
In this episode, we dive into:
- Alisa’s origin story and how she healed her PCOS (3:34)
- Why women in their reproductive years are left out of clinical research (12:04)
- The infradian rhythm and how it affects six key systems of a woman’s body (21:42)
- Why intermittent fasting is not optimal for women in their reproductive years (24:34)
- Why doing the same workout throughout your cycle negatively impacts your hormones (26:10)
- How to biohack your testosterone (29:35)
- How a female’s brain changes throughout the month and what it means (33:19)
- The Cycle Syncing Method that Alisa created (37:22)
- The four phases of a women’s cycle (46:23)
- How birth control really impacts your hormones (1:09:22)
- Where to learn more about Alisa Vitti (1:18:17)
For more on Alisa Vitti, be sure to follow her on Instagram @floliving and @alisa.vitti, on Facebook @floliving, and on Twitter @floliving. Check out her website https://www.floliving.com. Download MyFLO to help you get to know your infradian rhythm. Join the CycleSyncing Membership to get recipes, meal plans, grocery lists, and workout videos based on your infradian rhythm. You can find her book, In The FLO: Unlock Your Hormonal Advantage and Revolutionize Your Life, right here. Get a copy of In the FLO and get your free quickstart guide here, and get your biological Rhythm Score here.