Kids these days are getting sick more often with common infections, such as colds, sore throats and strep, coughs, ear infections, sinus infections, and the flu. Why is that?
On today’s Broken Brain Podcast, our host, Dhru, talks to Dr. Joel Gator Warsh, an integrative and holistic pediatrician in Los Angeles, California. He earned his medical degree from Thomas Jefferson Medical College and completed his pediatric residency at Children’s Hospital of Los Angeles. He founded Integrative Pediatrics and Medicine in 2018, where he works today. Dr. Gator has published research in numerous peer-reviewed journals on topics including childhood injuries, obesity, and physical activity. He has been featured in numerous documentaries, films, podcasts, and articles including Broken Brain 2, the Dr. Nandi Show, CBS News, LA Parent, the Dr. Taz Show, and many others.
In this episode, Dhru and Dr. Gator talk about why our children are having chronic immune system problems. They discuss The Seeds of Health: stress, exercise, environment, diet, and sleep and how each seed impacts our overall health. They also talk about the best natural immune boosters for kids that may help decrease the frequency and severity of sickness.
In this episode, we dive into:
- How Dr. Gator got into integrative pediatrics (4:35)
- Why kids are getting more sick than ever before (19:58)
- The seeds of health (21:12)
- Sleep training and why it’s so controversial (34:13)
- How avoiding exposure to toxins can help improve your child’s immune system (44:53)
- When to use antibiotics and when to avoid them (1:01:32)
- Why getting a fever isn’t necessarily a bad thing (1:06:49)
- The best way to find out if your child has a food sensitivity or food allergy (1:18:37)
- Dr. Gator’s supplement brand recommendations (1:30:15)
- Where to learn more about Dr. Gator (1:32:56)
For more on Dr. Joel Gator Warsh, be sure to follow him on Instagram @drjoelgator, and on Facebook @drjoelgator. Check out his website integrativepediatrics.com. Sign up for the Integrative Pediatrics Summit here. Listen to episode 69 of the Broken Brain Podcast with Jennifer Kolari that Dhru mentioned in the interview on Mirror Neurons, Empathy, and Connected Parenting here. Learn more about Chris Kresser’s program, The Health Baby Code, here. Watch NASA’s bowling ball experiment here. Lastly, here is the study conducted in six Canadian cities that found a link between maternal consumption of fluoride during pregnancy and IQ scores in their offspring.