The human body was formed and refined under conditions that no longer exist. The modern world has changed dramatically since our days as hunter-gatherers, and it has caused widespread anxiety, stress, and disease, leaving our brains in despair. But science proves that the body and brain can be healed with lifestyle protocols that help us regain our cognitive birthright.
On today’s Broken Brain Podcast, our host, Dhru, talks to Max Lugavere, a filmmaker, health and science journalist, and the author of the New York Times bestselling book Genius Foods: Become Smarter, Happier, and More Productive While Protecting Your Brain for Life. He is also the host of the #1 iTunes health podcast The Genius Life.
Max appears regularly on The Dr. Oz Show, the Rachael Ray Show, and The Doctors. He has contributed to Medscape, Vice, Fast Company, CNN, and The Daily Beast, has been featured on NBC Nightly News, The Today Show, and in The Wall Street Journal. He is a sought-after speaker and has given talks at South by Southwest, TEDx, the New York Academy of Sciences, the Biohacker Summit in Stockholm, Sweden, and many others.
In this episode, Dhru and Max talk about the evolving field of circadian biology and how we can set our internal clocks to create optimal energy, focus, clarity, and digestion. They also talk about how toxic industrial chemicals are perhaps the most harmful culprits in the battle against inflammation, and how they can disrupt our endocrine system, which governs our brain function, fat storage, sexual development, and everything in between. They also talk about the latest research on fasting, a technique proven to extend lifespan, and reduce the risk for many chronic diseases.
In this episode, we dive into:
- Max’s personal story of losing his mom to a mysterious form of dementia and how that inspired the work he is doing today (2:54)
- How our allostatic load affects our immune system (17:23)
- Chemical compounds in plastic products and why we need to be aware of them (20:37)
- Why we should prioritize protein in our diet (35:53)
- Circadian biology and why when we eat may matter as much as what we eat (46:13)
- Exercise and how to time your meals (56:14)
- The crucial role vitamin D plays in our health (57:58)
- How to navigate the modern world in a way that supports mental health (1:05:23)
- What helped Max when he was grieving the loss of his mom (1:11:31)
- Where to learn more about Max Lugavere (1:20:11)
For more on Max Lugavere, be sure to follow him on Instagram @maxlugavere, on Facebook @maxlugavere, and on YouTube @maxlugavere. Check out his website https://www.maxlugavere.com. You can find his book, The Genius Life: Heal Your Mind, Strengthen Your Body, and Become Extraordinary, right here. Listen to Max’s behind the scenes interview with Dhru about building a personal brand and turning your passion into a business here.
Check out Max’s podcast The Genius Life here, and listen to his top three episode recommendations:
- Sex, Hormones, and Your Brain on Birth Control with Dr. Sarah Hill: https://www.maxlugavere.com/podcast/sarah-e-hill-phd-76
- Detox Your Brain to Lose Weight, Beat Stress, and Crush Life with Dr. David Perlmutter: https://www.maxlugavere.com/podcast/david-perlmutter-88
- Where Medicine Fails, Is Dairy Healthy, Mercury in Fish, and Exercising for Longevity with Chris Kresser: https://www.maxlugavere.com/podcast/chris-kresser-87