What do you want to do before you die? In 2006, Ben Nemtin and his group of friends set off to make a movie about completing their bucket list. Creating an epic list of 100 things to do before they died, Ben and his friends bought a barely-running RV and traveled across the country attempting to check items off their list while helping others complete their own. Though the movie was never made, their journey to discover what truly matters in life was the ultimate bucket list item.
On today’s Broken Brain Podcast, our host, Dhru talks to Ben Nemtim, #1 New York Times bestselling author of What Do You Want to Do Before You Die? and a star of MTV’s highest rated show ever on iTunes and Amazon called The Buried Life. As the co-founder of The Buried Life movement, Ben’s message of radical possibility has been featured on The Today Show, The Oprah Winfrey Show, CNN, FOX, and NBC News. President Obama called Ben and The Buried Life “inspiration for a new generation” and Oprah declared their mission “truly inspiring.”
In this episode, Dhru and Ben talk about how to live a life without regrets. Ben shares his experience filming The Buried Life and how this led him to write What Do You Want to Do Before You Die? They discuss the importance of being intentional with goals, how to respond to roadblocks, and how to keep aspirations relevant. You’ll hear how to create your own bucket list and keep what’s truly important at the forefront of your mind.
In this episode, we dive into:
- The biggest regrets most people have when they get to the end of their lives (2:18)
- Ben’s core life crisis that shaped his journey (4:30)
- How MTV’s The Buried Life show was created (10:00)
- How Ben’s family responded to him dropping out of school and how to approach people who are “dream killers” (14:00)
- What’s in Ben’s mental health toolkit (18:50)
- How to redefine your bucket list (20:18)
- How helping other people with their bucket list creates connection and increases your own wellbeing (28:15)
- The ripple effect of happiness when you pursue your deepest goals and dreams (36:30)
- How creating accountability around personal goals makes you exponentially more likely to accomplish them (53:47)
- How to approach roadblocks (59:24)
- The 5 steps formula to accomplishing goals on your bucket list (1:03:58)
- How to check back in with your bucket list and how your bucket list is different from your to-do list (1:17:29)
- How and why to create a family or shared bucket list (1:23:00)
- What two items are left on Ben’s original bucket list and where to find out more about Ben (1:34:00)
For more on Ben, be sure to follow him on Instagram @bennemtin, on Facebook @bennemtin, and on YouTube @bennemtin. Check out his website here and learn more about his book, What Do You Want to Do Before You Die?, here. Also mentioned during the podcast are the books, Top Five Regrets of the Dying by Bronnie Ware and The Dream Manager by Matthew Kelly.