In the beginning of his career as a neurologist, Dr. Carlos Ritter began to notice a peculiar similarity in stage 2 of sleep between some of his patients and those with chronic illnesses across the board—it was some sort of toxin messing with the body. After years of research in biology, neurology, and physics, Dr. Ritter came to understand this toxin could be coming from an invisible source all around us: electromagnetic frequencies (EMFs).
On today’s Broken Brain Podcast, our host, Dhru, talks to Dr. Carlos Ritter, who has spent the last 15 years working to actively mitigate the effects of electromagnetic radiation. Now as CEO of EMF Knights, Dr. Ritter shields homes from EMF, protecting individual’s “biological restoration pathways” during sleep. As a doctor in pediatric neurology and extensive research in brain function, biology, and physics, Dr. Ritter has developed new protective technologies to safeguard people from the harmful effects of EMF.
In this episode, Dhru and Dr. Ritter discuss everything EMF: how Dr. Ritter’s career and education evolved around this topic, how EMFs and radiation can affect DNA, and importantly, some simple (and free) steps we can take in our own homes and lives that have the biggest impact on our sleep and resilience against EMFs.
In this episode, we dive into:
- Why a medical doctor would pursue researching EMFs (6:05)
- The basics of electromagnetic fields and waves (22:04)
- How EMFs can break down and affect the body and DNA (24:35)
- The effects of cumulative damage (30:15)
- How EMFs interfere with sleep pathways (34:38)
- How removing exposures to EMFs caused significant improvement in Dr. Ritter’s patients (37:30)
- A deeper look at sleep and what we can do in our homes to help support sleep (47:13)
- How at-home EMF meters can be misleading (50:25)
- What you can do today to help reduce EMFs in your home (59:10)
- The benefits of a master switch box (1:08:31)
- Why, despite tremendous conclusive research, EMFs are still not considered dangerous (1:15:17)
- Additional resources on EMF research (1:20:21)
- One big takeaway regarding EMFs (1:22:40)
- How to learn more about Dr. Ritter (1:29:00)
For more on Dr. Ritter, you can visit his website here. Also mentioned in the podcast are the book, Handbook of Biological Effects of Electromagnetic Fields, the episode of This American Life, and the researcher Olle Johansson.
To watch Dr. Carlos Ritter’s interview from Dr. Mark Hyman’s Broken Brain 2 docu-series, click here.