“If you love it, you can’t fear it.” Jon Gordon states that so many creative challenges are lost when people allow fear to dictate their lives. Living in fear is like living in a shadow, you can never truly shine. Jon challenges us to allow love to drive out fear, step into our positivity, and own our life.
On today’s Broken Brain Podcast, our host Dhru talks to Jon Gordon, bestselling author and speaker whose books and talks have inspired readers and audiences around the world. His principles have been put to the test by numerous Fortune 500 companies, professional and college sports teams, school districts, hospitals, and non-profits. He is the author of 16 books including 7 bestsellers.
In this episode, Dhru and Jon discuss positivity and how your outlook on life affects every area of your life and relationships. He recounts a story of how incorporating daily “gratitude walks” saved his marriage, discusses how to deal with the energy vampires in your life, and challenges you to step up and own your life. They encourage you to consider what you’re fueling up with. Is your cup filled with negativity and turmoil or positivity and hope? You get to choose every day.
In this episode, we dive into:
- Why people are interested in his books (5:07)
- Jon Gordon’s personal story and how positivity came into his life (7:08)
- How people find themselves in this negative mindspace (10:18)
- The two roads that are always available to us (16:00)
- How Jon came back from a troubled relationship and financial hardship (19:02)
- Tips for someone who needs to set a difficult boundary (22:26)
- How to build a strong, successful relationship (25:01)
- How to respond to energy vampires (29:07)
- The story of the Energy Bus (book) (39:02)
- How to stick with a deadline to accomplish a project (44:48)
- How to focus and keep your vision alive (49:18)
- How to create a great team (also applies to your family clan) (55:21)
- How to see “signs” (1:02:38)
- How the Broken Brain Podcast was born and how to start small (1:13:10)
- How Jon views his work and purpose (1:21:24)
- Where to find more on Jon Gordon (1:29:20)
Please note: This podcast was recorded prior to social isolation. Stay safe!
For more on Jon, you can follow him on Instagram @jongordon11, on Twitter @jongordon11, through his website, his podcast Positive University, and be sure to check out his coaching program.
Interested in this topic? Check out these Positive University podcast episodes mentioned in today’s episode:
Featuring Matthew West
Featuring Evan Spiegel
Featuring Inky Johnson
Featuring Dabo Swinney
Featuring Nick Nurse
Featuring Zach Bush, MD
This episode of Broken Brain is brought to you by Thrive Market
I know everyone is trying to stay healthy at home right now, so I wanted to share one of my favorite resources with you for getting healthy food delivered right to my doorstep—it’s Thrive Market. When it comes to what I eat I’m really intentional. It’s super important to me to know exactly what I’m buying so I always take a deep dive into ingredients and company practices before adding anything new to my kitchen. Thrive Market makes my life so much easier, I know you’ll love it as much as I do. Just go to thrivemarket.com/brokenbrain, sign up, and start filling up your cart – you’ll see the credit automatically deducted at checkout.