Despite what most teenagers would say, we parents often do know best. For celebrity nutritionist and entrepreneur Mona Sharma, when she was forced by her parents to live at an Ashram several times throughout her teenage years, she was resistant and defiant. Little did she know the lasting impact of learning and practicing meditation, mindfulness, and wellness would literally save her life.
On today’s Broken Brain Podcast, our host Dhru talks to Mona Sharma, a dynamic leader and entrepreneur in the health and wellness industry who works with high-profile clients around the world. As Will Smith’s nutritionist, she has a recurring role on the Facebook series Red Table Talk where they profile her work with Will and the entire Smith family’s healing journey. Mona is also the founder of Xicama, an innovative line of functional beverage products that deliver gut-health and immune-boosting benefits of the superfood jicama.
In this episode, Dhru and Mona discuss her incredible story of surviving two open-heart surgeries and the path that led her to drastically turn her health around. She uses her story to help thousands of others on their journeys to create vibrant health.
In this episode, we dive into:
- Mona’s experience since her debut on Will Smith’s Red Table Talk with Dr. Mark Hyman (2:37)
- Mona shares about growing up in an Ashram (4:56)
- Early signs of her own health struggles and her personal story (8:57)
- How to position yourself with joy (21:41)
- How to navigate mindfulness during this time of social isolation (29:25)
- How to set boundaries around media and information (37:10)
- How to stop judging yourself and return to joy during these current events (39:05)
- How to navigate motherhood and community (44:20)
- How Mona could tell it was time for her to move on in her healing journey (51:15)
- How mindfulness requires the most intention for Mona and why (58:38)
- The power of forgiveness (1:02:15)
- Mona’s go-to COVID snack (1:05:05)
- How Mona’s beverage company, Xicama, was created (1:07:45)
- What projects Mona is working on (1:10:08)
- Where to find more on Mona (1:18:21)
For more on Mona, you can follow her on Instagram @monasharma, on Facebook @monaleahsharma, through her website, or her website Xicamalife. Be sure to check out the Facebook series Red Table Talk and this amazing food and eating guide to Awaken Your Best Health featuring Mona Sharma and Dr. Mark Hyman.
Also mentioned in this episode is the book Limitless by Jim Kwik.
This episode of Broken Brain is brought to you by Thrive Market. I know everyone is trying to stay healthy at home right now, so I wanted to share one of my favorite resources with you for getting healthy food delivered right to my doorstep—it’s Thrive Market. When it comes to what I eat I’m really intentional. It’s super important to me to know exactly what I’m buying so I always take a deep dive into ingredients and company practices before adding anything new to my kitchen. Thrive Market makes my life so much easier, I know you’ll love it as much as I do. Just go to thrivemarket.com/brokenbrain, sign up, and start filling up your cart – you’ll see the credit automatically deducted at checkout.