“May I be truly happy
May I be free from suffering
May I be truly well in body, mind, and heart
And may I live peacefully and with ease”
This loving-kindness meditation exercise from Dr. Andrea Pennington’s Real Self Love Handbook is a message to our inner-self that we deserve to be happy, healthy, and full of peace.
On today’s Broken Brain Podcast, our host Dhru talks to Dr. Andrea Pennington an integrative physician, acupuncturist, meditation teacher, #1 international bestselling author, and TEDx speaker. With her extensive medical expertise and training in trauma recovery combined with her experience in Traditional Chinese Medicine and acupuncture, Dr. Andrea helps people to build resilience, reclaim vitality, and thrive despite the inevitable trauma and drama life brings.
In this episode, Dhru and Dr. Andrea discuss how to approach yourself with kindness, love, and compassion. They delve into where the self-critical voice comes from, how to recognize this voice and turn it around towards love, and how giving intention to our daily calendar can help put our minds at ease. Dr. Andrea tells us about her personal story that led her to find radical forgiveness and self-love.
In this episode, we dive into:
- Where self-criticism and self-love fall during these times of social isolation (5:35)
- Where the self-judgement voice comes from (8:15)
- Dr. Andrea’s personal story (11:50)
- An explanation of how acupuncture works (20:50)
- What happens in our bodies when we experience self-judging thoughts (23:57)
- How to explore different healing modalities to find the right fit (29:33)
- Dr. Andrea’s journey to self-love (36:41)
- How things like the social isolation and stay-at-home orders can be triggers for some people (43:45)
- How to unpack the belief or programming that achievements are due to being hard on ourselves (49:05)
- A self-compassion meditation exercise (52:45)
- How to help children cope through the pandemic (57:56)
- How to create an intentional morning routine (1:06:00)
- Where people can go to learn more about Dr. Andrea (1:11:50)
For more on Dr. Andrea, you can follow her on Instagram @drandreapennington, on Twitter @DrAndrea, on Facebook @andrea.pennington1, and through her websites AndreaPennington.com, www.RealSelf.love, and In8Vitality.com
Be sure to check out her free resources for helping you cope with COVID-19 and beyond:
How to Escape Victim Mentality & Reprogram Your Subconscious Mind and her 21-Day Compassion Meditation Series. You can also learn more about her books, The Real Self Love Handbook and The Top 10 Traits of Highly Resilient People.
This episode of Broken Brain is brought to you by Thrive Market
I know everyone is trying to stay healthy at home right now, so I wanted to share one of my favorite resources with you for getting healthy food delivered right to my doorstep—it’s Thrive Market. When it comes to what I eat I’m really intentional. It’s super important to me to know exactly what I’m buying so I always take a deep dive into ingredients and company practices before adding anything new to my kitchen. Thrive Market makes my life so much easier, I know you’ll love it as much as I do. Just go to thrivemarket.com/brokenbrain, sign up, and start filling up your cart. You’ll see the credit automatically deducted at checkout.