The first time neurosurgeon Mark McLaughlin cut open a patient’s skull, he found himself confronting a powerful force that his fellow brain surgeons agreed was best never spoken of— fear.
On today’s Broken Brain Podcast, our host Dhru talks to Dr. Mark McLaughlin, a practicing board-certified neurosurgeon, a national media commentator, thought leader in performance enhancement, and author of the book, Cognitive Dominance: A Brain Surgeon’s Quest to Outthink Fear.
In this episode, Dhru and Dr. McLaughlin talk about how so much of what we perceive as fear is wrapped up in a story. They discuss what prevents people from seeking help or counsel about a problem or fear they have. They also talk about tools and strategies for overcoming fear.
In this episode, we dive into:
- The first time Dr. McLaughlin was introduced to fear (2:09)
- What wrestling taught him about fear (3:59)
- The fear freakout (12:52)
- How to map out your fear (15:42)
- Where fear lives in the brain (21:14)
- The fear of vulnerability (27:23)
- The misconception that we have to get over our fears (30:10)
- The power of taking tiny actions to overcome fear (44:32)
- The importance of partnership when dealing with a challenge (49:57)
- Where to learn more about Dr. McLaughlin (1:09:53)
For more on Dr. Mark McLaughlin, you can follow him on Instagram @mmclaughlinmd, on Facebook @markmclaughlinmd, on Twitter @mmclaughlinmd, and through his website here. You can find his book, Cognitive Dominance: A Brain Surgeon’s Quest to Out-Think Fear, right here. Take the Cognitive Dominance Assessment here, and check out his blog here.
Also mentioned in this episode:
- Maps of Meaning: The Architect of Belief by Jordan B. Peterson
- 12 Rules for Life: An Antidote to Chaos by Jordan B. Peterson
- Turning Pro: Tap Your Inner Power and Create Your Life’s Work by Steven Pressfield
- Antifragile: Things That Gain from Disorder by Nassim Nicholas Taleb
- 10% Happier Revised Edition: How I Tamed the Voice in My Head, Reduced Stress Without Losing My Edge, and Found Self-Help That Actually Works–A True Story by Dan Harris
- 10 Percent Happier Meditation app
For more on Dhru Purohit, be sure to follow him on Instagram @dhrupurohit, on Facebook @dhruxpurohit, on Twitter @dhrupurohit, and on YouTube @dhrupurohit. You can also text Dhru at (302) 200-5643 or click here https://my.community.com/dhrupurohit.
Interested in joining Dhru’s Broken Brain Podcast Facebook Community? Submit your request to join here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/2819627591487473/.