Now more than ever, we need to understand how to build cellular resilience for a lifetime of health for our kids. Our kids are facing an epidemic of chronic illness—by 2025, 8 in 10 kids will have a chronic diagnosis. We’ve seen with COVID-19 that preventable lifestyle diseases are the #1 risk factor for serious complications and death.
On today’s Broken Brain Podcast, our host Dhru talks to Dr. Elisa Song, an integrative pediatrician, pediatric Functional Medicine expert, and mama. In her integrative pediatric practice, Whole Family Wellness, she’s helped 1000s of kids get to the root causes of their health concerns and helped their parents understand how to help their children thrive— body, mind, and spirit—by integrating conventional pediatrics with Functional Medicine, homeopathy, acupuncture, herbal medicine, and essential oils.
Dr. Song created Healthy Kids Happy Kids, an online holistic pediatric resource to help practitioners and parents bridge the gap between conventional and integrative pediatrics with an evidence-based, pediatrician-backed approach.
In this episode, Dhru and Dr. Song talk about some of the underlying mechanisms occurring when kids get seriously sick with COVID-19, and sometimes go on to develop Multi-System Inflammatory Syndrome in Children, or MIS-C. They discuss how to prevent serious complications when someone actually gets sick with COVID-19. They also talk about the best way to support the immune system during the pandemic.
In this episode, we dive into:
- Dr. Song’s family experience of both kids having COVID-19 (2:22)
- How likely are kids to get COVID-19 and how sick will they get (10:29)
- Kawasaki syndrome and COVID-19 (16:01)
- Immunity and antibody testing for COVID-19 (20:04)
- What we can do right now to support our immune system (24:33)
- What cellular resilience has to do with COVID-19 and children (25:44)
- How to eat in a way to support our immune system (34:30)
- Should we send our kids back to school or not (36:45)
- How to build emotional resilience to get us through the pandemic (44:06)
- How to build immune resilience from a Functional Medicine perspective (51:39)
- Food and supplements to support the immune system against COVID-19 (55:40)
- How to prevent complications from COVID-19 (1:03:59)
- What we need know when it comes to a vaccine for COVID-19 (1:10:35)
- Where to learn more about Dr. Song (1:19:13)
For more on Dr. Song you can follow her on Instagram @healthykids_happykids, on Facebook @drelisasongmd, on Twitter @elisasongmd, and through her websites http://www.wholefamilywellness.org/ and https://healthykidshappykids.com/.
Also mentioned in this episode:
- Feeling Good Institute – http://www.feelinggoodinstitute.com/
- Insight Timer – Meditation App – https://insighttimer.com/
- Oak – Meditation and Breathing App – https://apps.apple.com/us/app/oak-meditation-breathing/id1210209691
- Stop, Breathe, and Think – Meditation and Mindfulness App – https://my.life/
- Square Breathing – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFdZXwE6fRE
- Box Breathing – https://youtu.be/FJJazKtH_9I
- Food As Medicine for Coronavirus: Supporting Optimal Immune Health (Free Guide) https://healthykidshappykids.com/food-medicine-coronavirus/
- Integrative and Functional Medicine Strategies for the Pandemic (online program) https://healthykidshappykids.com/pandemic-strategies/
- A Holistic Pediatrician’s Guide to the Pandemic: How to Be Prepared, and What to Do If You Get It – https://healthykidshappykids.com/pandemic-masterclass-replay/
- Dr. Elisa Song’s open letter to Governor Newsom regarding SB 276 on vaccine mandates and medication exemptions – https://www.facebook.com/DrElisaSongMD/posts/dear-honorable-governor-newsom-i-am-a-california-licensed-board-certified-stanfo/967752240237235/
- Should My Kids Get the Flu Vaccine – https://healthykidshappykids.com/2017/11/05/should-my-kids-get-the-flu-vaccine-2017-2018/
- Measles: Know The Facts by Dr. Elisa Song – https://www.acupuncturepediatrics.com/blog/3382-measles-know-the-facts-by-dr-elisa-song
For more on Dhru Purohit, be sure to follow him on Instagram @dhrupurohit, on Facebook @dhruxpurohit, on Twitter @dhrupurohit, and on YouTube @dhrupurohit. You can also text Dhru at (302) 200-5643 or click here https://my.community.com/dhrupurohit.
Interested in joining Dhru’s Broken Brain Podcast Facebook Community? Submit your request to join here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/2819627591487473/.