What we call Alzheimer’s disease is actually a protective response to a wide variety of insults to the brain: inflammation, insulin resistance, toxins, infections, and inadequate levels of nutrients, hormones, and growth factors.
On today’s Broken Brain Podcast, our host Dhru talks to Dr. Dale Bredesen, an internationally recognized expert in the mechanisms of neurodegenerative diseases, such as Alzheimer’s disease. He has held faculty positions at UCSF, UCLA, and the University of California, San Diego, and directed the Program on Aging at the Burnham Institute before coming to the Buck Institute in 1998 as its founding president and CEO. He is currently a professor at UCLA and the Chief Science Officer at Apollo Health. He is the author of the New York Times bestseller, The End of Alzheimer’s, and his newly released book, The End of Alzheimer’s Program, which goes into greater detail on the protocol he uses with his patients and how it can be tailored to anyone’s needs, at any age.
In this episode, Dhru and Dr. Bredesen talk about his groundbreaking protocol to prevent and reverse Alzheimer’s disease. Dr. Bredesen shares inspiring stories from patients who have reversed cognitive decline and are now thriving. They discuss the contributing factors that lead to cognitive decline. They also talk about the importance of restorative sleep, targeted supplementation, exercise, and brain training for the prevention of cognitive decline.
In this episode, we dive into:
- How Alzheimer’s disease in the years to come will be a rare disease (1:40)
- Why we need to change the way we think about medicine and health (8:47)
- Why amyloid plaque is not the cause of Alzheimer’s (12:10)
- Cognitive decline and nocturnal oxygen desaturation (15:33)
- The global statistics on Alzheimer’s and cognitive decline (17:10)
- How brain changes can be detected 20 years before Alzheimer’s symptoms are evident (21:11)
- How toxic exposure can lead to cognitive decline (42:57)
- What you can do today to prevent cognitive decline (53:14)
- How to assess your risk for neurodegenerative diseases (1:04:22)
- The backlash Dr. Bredesen has faced for his work (1:12:27)
- Where to learn more about Dr. Bredesen (1:20:48)
For more on Dr. Bredesen you can follow him on Instagram @drdalebredesen, on Facebook @drdalebredesen, on Twitter @drdalebredesen, and through his website https://www.apollohealthco.com. You can find his book, The End of Alzheimer’s Program: The First Protocol to Enhance Cognition and Reverse Decline At Any Age, right here.
Also mentioned in this episode:
For more on Dhru Purohit, be sure to follow him on Instagram @dhrupurohit, on Facebook @dhruxpurohit, on Twitter @dhrupurohit, and on YouTube @dhrupurohit. You can also text Dhru at (302) 200-5643 or click here https://my.community.com/dhrupurohit.
Interested in joining Dhru’s Broken Brain Podcast Facebook Community? Submit your request to join here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/2819627591487473/.