It was only a few decades ago that people started paying attention to nitric oxide. Named molecule of the year in 1992, it previously had been a pretty undervalued aspect of human health. Several years later, in 1998, three scientists were given a Nobel Prize for their discovery that nitric oxide is a key molecule in the cardiovascular system that helps keep blood vessels healthy and regulates blood pressure. We now know that nitric oxide can boost health in even more ways.
On today’s Broken Brain Podcast, our host Dhru talks to Dr. Louis Ignarro, a medical research scientist who was awarded the Nobel Prize in Medicine for his breakthrough discovery of Nitric Oxide (NO), and how it positively impacts health and longevity. His groundbreaking research on nitric oxide paved the way for—among other innovations—Viagra. Nitric oxide is currently being utilized all over by hospitals and universities as possible treatment for COVID-19. He is an award-winning Distinguished Professor Emeritus of Molecular & Medical Pharmacology at the University of California, Los Angeles, and has his PhD in Pharmacology with over 35 years of experience teaching.
Dr. Ignarro is a widely sought-after international speaker on nitric oxide, cardiovascular health, and the importance of nitric oxide to a healthy lifestyle. Based on his scientific work, Dr. Ignarro started a biotech company that focuses on the development of nutritional supplements designed to boost the body’s production of nitric oxide.
In this episode, Dhru and Dr. Ignarro talk about how important nitric oxide is to our overall health, and how it impacts our cardiovascular health, brain health, immune system, and nervous system. They discuss the problem with not having adequate levels of nitric oxide in the body, and how to naturally boost your production of it. They also talk about how nitric oxide is currently being used as an intervention in clinical trials to treat COVID-19.
In this episode, we dive into:
- Why nitric oxide is so fundamentally connected to our health (6:26)
- How the body creates nitric oxide (12:48)
- The problem with not having adequate levels of nitric oxide in the body (14:45)
- The impact of nitric oxide on the brain (16:32)
- Why breathing through your nose is so important to overall health (18:26)
- One of the first indicators you may be suffering from inadequate levels of nitric oxide (24:10)
- How Viagra was discovered (25:38)
- The impact of salt and sugar on nitric oxide production (30:53)
- Nitric oxide as a treatment for COVID-19 (34:50)
- Why you shouldn’t use mouthwash (40:54)
- Exercise and nitric oxide production (59:52)
For more on Dr. Ignarro, you can follow him on Instagram @dr.louisignarro, on Facebook @drignarro, on Twitter @drignarro, and through his website http://www.drignarro.com/. You can preorder Dr. Ignarro’s book, Dr. NO: The Discovery That Led to a Noble Prize and Viagra, right here.
Also mentioned in this episode:
- Breath: The New Science of a Lost Art by James Nestor – https://www.amazon.com/Breath-New-Science-Lost-Art/dp/0735213615
- Episode 15 with Dr. Steven Lin: The Importance of Dental Care in Whole Body Health – https://drhyman.com/blog/2018/08/09/the-broken-brain-podcast-the-importance-of-dental-care-in-whole-body-health-with-dr-steven-lin-15/
- Episode 62 with Dr. Mark Burhenne: The Secret to Better Sleep? Stop Doing This One Thing – https://drhyman.com/blog/2019/07/04/bb-ep62/
For more on Dhru Purohit, be sure to follow him on Instagram @dhrupurohit, on Facebook @dhruxpurohit, on Twitter @dhrupurohit, and on YouTube @dhrupurohit. You can also text Dhru at (302) 200-5643 or click here https://my.community.com/dhrupurohit.
Interested in joining Dhru’s Broken Brain Podcast Facebook Community? Submit your request to join here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/2819627591487473/.
This episode of Broken Brain is brought to you by Thrive Market.
Right now, Thrive is offering all my listeners an amazing deal – When you sign up for a new membership, you will receive a free gift. And, any time you spend more than $49, you’ll get free carbon-neutral shipping from one of their zero-waste warehouses.
Thrive Market makes it so easy to stay stocked with healthy ingredients so you can make the best salads in your own kitchen. Just go to thrivemarket.com/brokenbrain, sign up, and start filling up your cart – you’ll see the credit automatically deducted at checkout.