Known as Monsanto’s Roundup by consumers, and as glyphosate by scientists, the world’s most popular weed killer is used everywhere from backyard gardens to golf courses to millions of acres of farmland. It’s the pesticide on our dinner plates, a chemical so pervasive it’s in the air we breathe, our water, our soil, and even found increasingly in our own bodies. For decades, it’s been touted as safe enough to drink, but a growing body of evidence indicates just the opposite, with research tying the chemical to cancers and a host of other health threats.
On today’s Broken Brain Podcast, our host Dhru talks to Carey Gillam, a veteran investigative journalist with more than 25 years of experience covering corporate news, including 17 years as a senior correspondent for Reuters international news service. She is the author of “Whitewash- The Story of a Weed Killer, Cancer and the Corruption of Science,” an expose of corporate corruption in agriculture. The book won the coveted Rachel Carson Book Award from the Society of Environmental Journalists in 2018. Gillam works now as Research Director for the non-profit US Right to Know and as a columnist for The Guardian. Her second book will be out in early 2021.
In this episode, Dhru and Carey talk about the health hazards of glyphosate, one of the most widely-used herbicides, which is most commonly found in the weedkiller Roundup. They discuss Monsanto’s efforts to promote increased uses of glyphosate, and how Monsanto (now Bayer) is facing thousands of lawsuits from customers who now have cancer. They also talk about how most of us are probably consuming several different pesticides in our daily meals, and what we can do to avoid them.
In this episode, we dive into:
- Rachel Carson’s warning about the unrestricted use of pesticides (2:42)
- How Carey Gillam started reporting on Monsanto and glyphosate (7:01)
- Monsanto’s argument for why the world needs GMO foods and Roundup Ready crops (11:59)
- The first concerns over the use of glyphosate-based herbicides (15:19)
- How Carey became a target of the industry and how Monsanto tried to silence her (17:18)
- The deception behind Monsanto and the safety of glyphosate (19:41)
- How the public and lawmakers were fooled to believe that glyphosate is safe (23:02)
- Lawsuits against Monsanto (30:07)
- Why we need to pay attention to what’s happening in our food system and the importance of getting corporate wealth out of Washington (39:59)
- The truth about the chemicals in our food and what you can do about it (48:21)
- The connection between high rates of Covid-19 and junk food consumption (54:46)
- Pesticides in drinking water and rainfall (1:00:38)
- Carey’s upcoming book, The Monsanto Papers (1:05:02)
- Where listeners can learn more about Carey Gillam (1:08:48)
For more on Carey Gillam you can follow her on Twitter @careygillam, and through her website https://careygillam.com/. Get Carey’s book, Whitewash: The Story of a Weed Killer, Cancer, and the Corruption of Science, at https://careygillam.com/book.
Also mentioned in this episode:
- US Right to Know – https://usrtk.org/
- How Monsanto Manipulates Journalists and Academics – https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/jun/02/monsanto-manipulates-journalists-academics
- Silent Spring by Rachel Carson – http://www.rachelcarson.org/SilentSpring.aspx
For more on Dhru Purohit, be sure to follow him on Instagram @dhrupurohit, on Facebook @dhruxpurohit, on Twitter @dhrupurohit, and on YouTube @dhrupurohit. You can also text Dhru at (302) 200-5643 or click here https://my.community.com/dhrupurohit.
Interested in joining Dhru’s Broken Brain Podcast Facebook Community? Submit your request to join here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/2819627591487473/.
This episode of Broken Brain is brought to you by Bioptimizers.
My new favorite magnesium is from a company called Bioptimizers—their Magnesium Breakthrough formula contains 7 different forms which all have different functions in the body. There is truly nothing like it on the market. Right now you can try Bioptimizers Magnesium Breakthrough for 10% off, just go to www.bioptimizers.com/brain and use the code BRAIN10 at checkout.