The biggest misconception when it comes to tooth decay is that it’s an infection of harmful bacteria, in large part from eating sugar, but it’s not. Tooth decay actually results when the body doesn’t have adequate fat-soluble vitamins, which causes an imbalance of the oral microbiome.
On today’s Broken Brain Podcast, our host Dhru talks to Dr. Steven Lin, a world-leading authority in the field of Functional Dentistry and the author of, The Dental Diet: The Surprising Link between Your Teeth, Real Food, and Life-Changing Natural Health. Dr. Lin’s practice is founded in root cause protocols to prevent developmental issues associated with crooked teeth, and the biological basis of nutrition-focused oral-systemic and mouth-brain connection.
In this episode, Dhru and Dr. Lin talk about the connection between our oral health and overall health. They discuss how tooth decay is a condition we can prevent, and how we have the ability to heal cavities and reverse tooth decay in certain circumstances. They also talk about Dr. Lin’s protocol for reversing tooth decay.
In this episode, we dive into:
- What contributes to tooth decay (8:07)
- The specific nutrients we are missing in our diet that are contributing to tooth decay (16:25)
- How to reverse tooth decay (24:30)
- The importance of vitamin D for our dental health (27:01)
- How gut health impacts oral health (30:40)
- Why mouthwash isn’t a good solution for avoiding tooth decay and holistic alternatives (35:35)
- The issue with fluoride (38:57)
- How mouth breathing leads to tooth decay (42:52)
- The connection between Alzheimer’s disease and gum disease (48:03)
- Dr. Lin’s protocol for reversing tooth decay (54:03)
- Where listeners can learn more about Dr. Steven Lin (1:07:36)
For more on Dr. Steven Lin you can follow him on Instagram @DrStevenLin, on Facebook @DrStevenLin, on Twitter @DrStevenLin, and through his website https://www.drstevenlin.com. Get Dr. Lin’s book, The Dental Diet at https://www.drstevenlin.com/the-dental-diet/.
Also mentioned in this episode:
- How to Cure Tooth Decay: A Dentist’s Guide to Reverse Cavities in 3 Steps
- Broken Brain Podcast Episode #15: The Importance of Dental Care in Whole Body Health with Dr. Steven Lin
- Risewell Natural Hydroxyapatite Toothpaste
- SomniFix Mouth Stripes
- Radiolab Podcast – Invisible Allies
- Myofunctional Orthodontics
- Mouth Breathing
For more on Dhru Purohit, be sure to follow him on Instagram @dhrupurohit, on Facebook @dhruxpurohit, on Twitter @dhrupurohit, and on YouTube @dhrupurohit. You can also text Dhru at (302) 200-5643 or click here https://my.community.com/dhrupurohit.
Interested in joining Dhru’s Broken Brain Podcast Facebook Community? Submit your request to join here.
This episode is brought to you by the Pegan Shake.
How you start your morning sets the tone for the day. I’m a huge fan of morning routines, because I think they can transform your ability to focus, sleep well, and get the most out of your day, especially in this busy, modern world.
What I’ve found is that the best way to begin your day is to feed your body the right information or the right nutrients. That’s why Dr. Mark Hyman and I created the Pegan Shake. It’s a nutritionally packed morning blend designed to support healthy blood sugar, energy, and brainpower. It contains some of my most favorite brain-boosting foods like MCT and avocado. It also features acacia fiber for healthy gut function and collagen, pumpkin, and pea protein to support muscle synthesis. Check it out at getfarmacy.com/peganshake.