A woman’s hormonal landscape changes dramatically throughout her life. Because of this unique biology, understanding her menstrual cycle and its rhythm can be incredibly useful for optimizing productivity, weight, sex drive, energy, and mood.
On today’s Broken Brain Podcast, our host Dhru talks to Dr. Stephanie Estima, an expert in female metabolism and body composition. She is a doctor of chiropractic with a special interest in functional neurology, brain metabolism, and the specific application of the ketogenic diet and fasting to female physiology. She is particularly focused on distilling strategies in nutritional proxies, movement, posture, and mindset to actualize human potential, healthspan, longevity, and achievement.
In this episode, Dhru and Dr. Estima talk about how women are often divorced from their body, frustrated, and come to the conclusion that their health efforts are not being realized because there is something “wrong with them.” They discuss how to eat and work out in a way that honors a woman’s natural cycle in her reproductive years. They also talk about how chronic stress affects women differently than men, the importance of listening to your body, and why loving yourself is one of the most radical things you can do.
In this episode, we dive into:
- The pandemic and chronic stress (1:34)
- Dr. Estima’s health journey (5:33)
- What is a “Betty” and where the term came from (14:05)
- The big mistake women make when it comes to their hormonal health (21:46)
- How the accumulation of low-grade stress impacts metabolic health (25:23)
- How training and competing in a figure competition impacted Dr. Estima’s health (29:36)
- Self-esteem and reclaiming your power (39:00)
- The importance of listening to your body and attuning to your symptoms (47:01)
- The Estima Method (49:30)
- A case study from Dr. Estima’s private practice (1:02:32)
- Where to learn more about Dr. Estima (1:12:05)
For more on Dr. Stephanie Estima you can follow her on Instagram @Dr.Stephanie.Estima, on Facebook @BetterWithDrStephanie, on YouTube @DrStephanieEstima, and through her website https://hellobetty.club/. Get her book, The Betty Body: A Geeky Goddess’ Guide to Intuitive Eating, Balanced Hormones, and Transformative Sex at https://bettybodybook.com/.
Also mentioned in this episode:
- The Better Show Podcast
- 4 Week Keto Cycling Guide
- Broken Brain Podcast Episode 133: How to Use Your Menstrual Cycle to Supercharge Your Diet, Reclaim Your Energy, and Honor Your Unique Biology
- Broken Brain Podcast Episode 29: The Optimal Morning Routing Plus Keto Tips
For more on Dhru Purohit, be sure to follow him on Instagram @dhrupurohit, on Facebook @dhruxpurohit, on Twitter @dhrupurohit, and on YouTube @dhrupurohit. You can also text Dhru at (302) 200-5643 or click here https://my.community.com/dhrupurohit.
Interested in joining Dhru’s Broken Brain Podcast Facebook Community? Submit your request to join here.
This episode of Broken Brain is brought to you by Thrive Market.
Thrive Market makes it so easy to stay stocked with healthy ingredients. Right now, Thrive is offering all my listeners an amazing deal. When you sign up for a new membership, you will receive a free gift. And, any time you spend more than $49, you’ll get free carbon-neutral shipping from one of their zero-waste warehouses. Go to thrivemarket.com/brokenbrain to sign-up.