Depression and anxiety disorders are rising, affecting more than fifty-eight million people in the United States alone. Many rely on therapy and medications to alleviate symptoms but often this is not enough. The latest scientific advances in neuroscience and nutrition, along with our understanding of the mind-gut connection, have proven that how and what we eat greatly affects how we feel physically, cognitively, and emotionally.
On today’s Broken Brain Podcast, our host Dhru talks to Dr. Drew Ramsey, a psychiatrist, author, farmer, and founder of the Brain Food Clinic in New York City, offering treatment and consultation for depression, anxiety and emotional wellness concerns. He is the author of three books, most recently the award-winning cookbook Eat Complete: The 21 Nutrients that Fuel Brain Power, Boost Weight Loss and Transform Your Health. He lives with his wife and two children in New York City and on their 127-acre organic farm in rural Indiana.
Dhru and Dr. Ramsey dive into the twelve most important nutrients for brain health and some of the most insightful studies to back them up. We often hear about omega-3 fatty acids and vitamin D for mood imbalances, so you may be surprised to learn that iron, zinc, choline, and vitamin A are a few others that are crucial. Dr. Ramsey explains the mechanisms behind these essential nutrients and which foods we can find them in.
In this episode, we dive into:
- Dr. Ramsey’s struggle with anxiety and depression (3:36)
- Why iron is important for brain health (14:26)
- The importance of omega-3 fats for brain health and tips for incorporating more seafood into your diet (18:39)
- Antidepressant Food Scale (AFS) (25:36)
- The top food categories to beat depression and anxiety (29:30)
- Kale controversy (36:33)
- The importance of having variety in your diet (44:53)
- The connection between metabolic health and mental health (49:19)
- The benefits of choline and vitamin A for brain health (51:38)
- How COVID has exacerbated the climbing rates of anxiety and depression (59:13)
For more on Dr. Ramsey you can follow him on Instagram @drewramseymd, on Facebook @drewramseymd, on Twitter @drewramseymd, and through his website drewramseymd.com. Get his book, Eat to Beat Depression and Anxiety: Nourish Your Way to Better Mental Health in Six Weeks here.
Also mentioned in this episode:
- Broken Brain Podcast Episode #28: Mood Altering Power of Food and Farming with Dr. Drew Ramsey
- Is There an Optimal Diet for Humans? By Anahad O’Connor
- Cross-national comparisons of seafood consumption and rates of bipolar disorders
- Mediterranean diet and depression
- Eat to Beat Depression book illustrations by Katrin Wietek
For more on Dhru Purohit, be sure to follow him on Instagram @dhrupurohit, on Facebook @dhruxpurohit, on Twitter @dhrupurohit, and on YouTube @dhrupurohit. You can also text Dhru at (302) 200-5643 or click here.
Interested in joining Dhru’s Broken Brain Podcast Facebook Community? Submit your request to join here.
This episode is brought to you by BiOptimizers.
My new favorite magnesium is from a company called BiOptimizers—their Magnesium Breakthrough formula contains 7 different forms which all have different functions in the body. There is truly nothing like it on the market. Right now you can try Bioptimizers Magnesium Breakthrough for 10% off, just go to www.bioptimizers.com/brain and use the code BRAIN10 at checkout.