A declining mind is one of the scariest things I can imagine. Left unchecked, I’ve seen the devastating effects this process can have on individuals and their families. But we now know there is so much that can be done to prevent and even reverse Alzheimer’s and dementia and save people from a foggy future.
I know some of you may have had to reread that—yes, Alzheimer’s reversal is real. The latest research is showing some amazing results that give us a new perspective of hope, even (or especially) if you’re genetically predisposed.
Today on The Dhru Purohit Podcast, Dhru talks to our friend Dr. David Perlmutter about the latest findings in the field of Alzheimer’s and dementia.
Dr. Perlmutter is a Board-Certified Neurologist and five-time New York Times bestselling author. He serves on the Board of Directors and is a Fellow of the American College of Nutrition. Dr. Perlmutter received his M.D. degree from the University of Miami School of Medicine where he was awarded the Leonard G. Rowntree Research Award. He serves as a member of the Editorial Board for the Journal of Alzheimer’s Disease and has published extensively in peer-reviewed scientific journals including Archives of Neurology, Neurosurgery, and The Journal of Applied Nutrition.
Dr. Perlmutter’s books have been published in 32 languages and include the #1 New York Times bestseller Grain Brain, The Surprising Truth About Wheat, Carbs and Sugar, with over 1 million copies in print. Other New York Times bestsellers include Brain Maker, The Grain Brain Cookbook, The Grain Brain Whole Life Plan, and Brain Wash, co-written with Dr. Austin Perlmutter. His latest book, Drop Acid, focuses on the pivotal role of uric acid in metabolic diseases, and will be published in February, 2022.
In this episode, we dive into:
- Dr. Dale Bredesen’s study showing that Alzheimer’s disease is reversible (9:13) / (5:08)
- What contributes to Alzheimer’s disease (11:31) / (7:27)
- Blood sugar dysregulation and fructose (18:43) / (15:24)
- How our gut bacteria is responsible for regulating our metabolism (22:04) / (17:53)
- What threatens our gut bacteria (41:17) / (37:12)
- The importance of diversity in our gut (46:30) / (42:38)
- Dr. Perlmutter’s diet (51:38) / (47:34)
- How elevated uric acid levels lie at the root of many pervasive health conditions (56:45) / (52:41)
- How to test for uric acid levels (1:08:59) / (1:04:54)
- Foods that are high in uric acid (1:11:38) / (1:07:33)
For more on Dr. David Perlmutter, you can follow him on Instagram @DrDavidPerlmutter, on Facebook @DavidPerlmutterMD, on Twitter @DavidPerlmutter, on Youtube @DavidPerlmutterMD, and through his website. Check out his podcast The Empowering Neurologist here. Preorder his book, Drop Acid: The Surprising New Science of Uric Acid—The Key to Losing Weight, Controlling Blood Sugar, and Achieving Extraordinary Health here.
Also mentioned in this episode:
- Precision Medicine Approach to Alzheimer’s Disease: Successful Proof-of-Concept Trial
- The Science of Prevention Docuseries
- The End of Alzheimer’s Program by Dr. Dale Bredesen
For more on Dhru Purohit, be sure to follow him on Instagram @dhrupurohit, on Facebook @dhruxpurohit, on Twitter @dhrupurohit, and on YouTube @dhrupurohit. You can also text Dhru at (302) 200-5643 or click here.
Interested in joining The Dhru Purohit Podcast Facebook Community? Submit your request to join here.
This episode is brought to you by BLUblox.
As someone who is on the computer a lot, I realized all that screen time was negatively affecting how well I slept. I started learning about blue light and how it disrupts the body’s natural melatonin production, so I decided to try blue-light blocking glasses throughout the day to see if they helped—and they totally did. I love the blue-light blocking glasses made by BLUblox. BLUblox glasses reduced my digital eye strain and dramatically improved my sleep, and I have more energy throughout the day. Right now BLUblox is offering my listeners 20% off, just go to blublox.com/dhru and use code DHRU at checkout.